Digital Darkroom?

SgtSaunders69

I'm brand new to digital photography with a D5100, and wonder where I could start with software one apparently needs to massage my electonic photos?

Thanks all!

Dave_W

The Dude
#1 - Lightroom
#2 - Photoshop
#3 - Nik Suite

This would be the order of importance I would place on all three software products

AC016

You say you are brand new to digital photography, why are you worrying about software already? I do understand that you had a camera for many years before your dslr, but i would learn your new cam inside out and get to be comfortable with its capabilities first. Further, your new nikon comes with editing software, play around with that first. Photoshop is not going anywhere, neither is adobe. There is no rush. Just my thoughts.

amonamarth

I agree with shooter; I think the software that comes with your camera will be enough while you learn the new equipment. Then, I'd recommend Lightroom.

Alex.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm going to have to go the other way. A digital camera is only half of the equation and I would say there no reason you can't learn both the camera and lightroom at the same time. The cooler your photos come out the more likely you'll be to get back out and take some more. The two will compliment each other very nicely. And let's face it, ViewNX sucks (IMO) and any time spent with it will be wasted (again, IMO). So you might as well start off swimming in the deep end of the digital photography pool and avoid the shallow end. Besides, it's always so much more fun when you challenge yourself.....again, IMO. ;)