Warning: 10 deadly post processing sins - are you guilty?

miknoypinoy

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than die with the saints. . . sinners are much more fun. . . "

I'm guilty of a few I those lol. again on selected photos they work. but not all. . . but hey

"only the good die young. . . "

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .

TedG954

I'm not a professional photographer, nor do I intend to pursue that career. Or, any other career for that matter. So.... what I do, in the privacy of my own home, with a consenting photograph, is my business...

I like Photoshop. I like Photmatix. I like Paint Shop Pro. And, I like Picasa. I produce photographs as a hobby and part of that hobby is experimentation, like over-baking, replacing natural colors, and anything else I decide.

Creativity
is the fun part of photography, in my humble opinion. Waiting two years to expand that creativity is counter-productive. It's your camera and it's your time. Do what pleases you. Not everyone likes everything all the time. If I get one pleasing (note I didn't say good) photograph out of 100 taken, I call it success.

While I can understand the purpose of the article, I completely disagree with its premise. If we all follow the same rules and guides, what does that say about our reasoning for being "photographers" in the first place?

I don't sell my photographs. So, you get what you pay for. I do it for my own personal enjoyment. I don't like sushi either. Does that make me a terrible person?

Last edited:

AC016

I'm not a professional photographer, nor do I intend to pursue that career. Or, any other career for that matter. So.... what I do, in the privacy of my own home, with a consenting photograph, is my business...

I like Photoshop. I like Photmatix. I like Paint Shop Pro. And, I like Picasa. I produce photographs as a hobby and part of that hobby is experimentation, like over-baking, replacing natural colors, and anything else I decide.

Creativity
is the fun part of photography, in my humble opinion. Waiting two years to expand that creativity is counter-productive. It's your camera and it's your time. Do what pleases you. Not everyone likes everything all the time. If I get one pleasing (note I'd didn't say good) photograph out of 100 taken, I call it success.

While I can understand the purpose of the article, I completely disagree with its premise. If we all follow the same rules and guides, what does that say about our reasoning for being "photographers" in the first place?

I don't sell my photographs. So, you get what you pay for. I do it for my own personal enjoyment. I don't like sushi either. Does that make me a terrible person?

If you had gone any further with that first paragraph, we would have had to put your post in another category, lol:) You not liking sushi does not make you terrible, just abnormal, lol:p I like your attitude.

stmv

tilted horizans, oversharpening, fractals, distortions, oil paintings, bad blending, why the list goes on and on,, but, hey still fun.

Myth

But but i thought processing is always part and parcel of photography from old days. How do you achieve those photos in magazines and banners. Is it really possible to take 'wow' photos without any processing? I am not talking good photos....i am talking about photos that will make you think like an amateur and wanted to throw the kit you have.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
But but i thought processing is always part and parcel of photography from old days.
Yes you are right, post processing is a very important part of photography just like the old days of film. Some labs were better than others and could charge more just for their technical excellence.

How do you achieve those photos in magazines and banners. Is it really possible to take 'wow' photos without any processing?
I don't see how it could be done without the proper amount of processing.

I am not talking good photos....i am talking about photos that will make you think like an amateur and wanted to throw the kit you have.

Rick M

Break the rules and enjoy life!

I think HDR probably falls in the trendy catagory. The funny thing is, most people like (and buy) my HDR work more than my "traditional" work.

Billy Y.

I don't like sushi either. Does that make me a terrible person?

Oh, but there are all kinds of sushi, have you tried them all? cause i don't like some kinds of sushi, but others are really, really, good. But yes, if you have tried every flavor of sushi and you don't like any of them then you must be a terrible person... :highly_amused:

Last edited: