Battery safety..

Raymie

As a new owner of a D3100 I was just wondering about your views on safety procedures for the battery pack.. should I leave it in the camera or remove it when I store my gear in the wardrobe ?

Thanks.

Rick M

I always leave it in as I use it almost daily. I would take it out for extended storage, say over 2 weeks of no use.

SteveH

I am the same as Cnyram, I use mine every 2-3 days so I leave it in. If it were to go unsed for a week or more then take it out.

Mike150

With a nice 3100, why would you want to leave it in the wardrobe? I try to take my camera everywhere I go. Some of my favorite shots have been unplanned.

SteveH

The D3100 certainly records the date and time of shots, but location requires the add on gps unit. I've no idea how long it can go before it looses it's time data, but i've had my battery out for overnight charging without a problem. But then as posted earlier, why put it in a wardrobe for long periods?

Mine lives in its bag behind the sofa as you never know when you'll get a nice sunset or the dogs doing something funny, and you don't want to be missing things! :)

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2

Raymie

SteveHO773 my wardrobe is easy accessible so there not a worry there, as to time/date recording hasn't the D3100 got an internal battery specifically for time & date? like a PC has a Cmos battery. I've only had mine 4 - 5 weeks so I haven't a clue... but I'm learning :)

Rick M

I think some battery handling habits have carried over from many years ago when batteries used to leak or corrode. You will hear much more frequently of the flimsy battery doors getting broken from use than the battery causing damage. The only time it needs to be taken out is in extreme conditions (in my opinion), or extended storage.

no replacable button battery ....it was designed by a scotsman and he was too mean to fit one ( ha ha ) but it does have internal rechargable "battery" that keeps the clock running for 3 months after the main battery has been in for 2 days If you leave it in I would certainly check the the charge state every 2 weeks and charge if neccessary

fotojack

The reason to take the battery out is not so much that it will corrode. It's because they have a tendency to slowly discharge themselves. Some batteries are worse than others, of course. For instance...I have a little D40 with a grip. If I leave my batteries in...fully charged...for more than 4 or 5 days, they will self discharge quite a bit. So I leave the batteries out unless I know I'll be using it quite a bit. On the other hand, I leave my batteries in my D200 grip, and they seem to last forever! But as a habit, I leave them out, unless I'm going to shoot.

MrF

Your thread title gave me flashbacks to the battery safety program I used to be involved with at work. :dread:

If you're concerned with the risk of thermal runaway and you're not storing the camera for a long time, I'd leave it in the camera. Thermal runaway occurs when the battery gets shorted out and usually results in flames. The least chance of an accidental short is installed in the camera, although the EN EL-15 in my camera seems to be pretty well designed as far as keeping the contacts protected. Most of the catastrophic failures of batteries installed in devices that I've heard of are the no-name/off-brand/counterfeit batteries. The name brand ones are pretty reliable (and when there's a chance they aren't, they're quickly recalled) as long as they're not shorted out.

Last time I checked, in the US the TSA will only let you put Lithium batteries in checked baggage if they're installed in a device or sealed in their original packaging, so that tells you something about what they think the safest place for them are (although, you could also probably fill a page with things the TSA that don't make any sense at all). Lithium batteries were also being investigated as a possible cause for the fire that caused a UPS jet to crash in Dubai a couple of years ago. It's just one of those trade-offs that comes with having a battery that holds enough energy to last for a long time.

Mine stays in my camera unless I'm charging it, but I usually find myself using my camera every few days as well.

Hope this helps!

Raymie

Helps tremendously MrF thanx for your input my friend ;)
I've decided to remove my battery after uploading my images to my PC every time I use it. That way it can lay for a day, a week or a month an I won't have to worry about it :cool:

Can I just say thanks to everyone who answered.. I really appreciate your input.