Memory Card issue in D7000 yesterday, any thoughts?

mjackson907

So, at an air show yesterday the wife's card stopped working and said "err" on the lcd. She was quite upset as they inexplicably did not pause the air show while we figured out her problem. I grabbed the camera and it would not shut down, so we pulled the battery (I hated to do that) and upon turning it back on would not take one single image. I was at least able to turn the camera on and off now without pulling the battery, so about the 4th time of restarting the camera, I got the bright idea of trying to view the pictures already taken and got a white screen with the error on the display. I took the identical card from my rig and gave it to her (both were mine until I got her the D7000) leaving me without a memory card (yay me to the rescue).

I got home and put the card into my laptop's card reader and it came up fine, I copied the images to a temporary folder and we were able to put the card into one of our cameras to upload to our regular computer and it seems to be acting normally...

My questions are; has anyone encountered this, any thoughts as to the cause of the error and should I format the cards and trust it or just replace them (they're not cheap are they?) Oh, they are sandisk ultra 32 gb cards.

Thanks and great shooting!

stmv

ah,, the stress, don't you have two cards in the D7000, I would always have them loaded, so that worse case, you only would have to pull on card, and continue.

mjackson907

No, never reformatted them...I *did* have 2 cards in mine...and then I gotthe wife her camera and gave her one of my cards...I guess I need so buy more (faster? lol) cards.

Dave_W

The Dude
No, never reformatted them...I *did* have 2 cards in mine...and then I gotthe wife her camera and gave her one of my cards...I guess I need so buy more (faster? lol) cards.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that's the problem right there. Each time you empty your memory card you have to reformat it in-camera else it will get corrupted. Take that problem card and put it in your camera and hit reformat and I'll thinking it'll be just fine.

stmv

wait for a sell, and buy two more card! you have invested so much in a camera, take advantage of the dual slots!

I don't quite understand the reformat point, if you are shooting Raw/Jpeg the cards fill up so fast that you are constantly reformatting. I get in the habit of reformatting after every shoot once I have uploaded and backed up on my external harddrives via computer.

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't quite understand the reformat point, if you are shooting Raw/Jpeg the cards fill up so fast that you are constantly reformatting. I get in the habit of reformatting after every shoot once I have uploaded and backed up on my external harddrives via computer.

You should reformat your cards in-camera instead of "erase" your images using your computer. The two actions are very different from the cards perspective.

Jon

I never format my sd cards after transferring all my pix and videos to my laptop. I'd just cut and paste. But I also only use those SD cards just for my D7000. I use a class 10 sd cards. What class do you use? Was she shooting in continuous mode? What was your NR (noise reduction) mode settings? Maybe it was the camera buffer?

But I did have problem once when my d7000 accidentally fell off the dining table during a family dinner. It was not working for at least 5 minutes. I was so upset but at the same time also praying my wife will allow me to buy a D800 as a replacement :). It won't turn-off. So I removed the SD cards, then removed the battery... somehow it reset it self. Now it is still working fine. Still not formatting SD cards and still wishing for a D800.

mjackson907

lol, Jon...sounds like something I'd do (wish for the bigger replacement authorization :D). Class 10 ultra cards, might have been continuous low and have no idea what you mean by nr settings...definitely not the buffer...i've hit that a zillion times (well, not quite *that* many).