Noise level D5100 experience

Myth

I experienced lot of noise while shooting in a nikor 35mm/1.8g lens at 2.2aperture, 250 iso and 1/250 and above shutter. It was day time bit cloudy situation. It was visible if i blew and see the details in light room. My iso100 photos on the same situation did not have the problem. The light was not bad...it was around 3pm but as i said cloudy. It was visible only if i blew and look at the details. Is this common? Whats your experience on the noise level with nikon d5100? I would expect up to 800 it should be decent.

pedroj

If your images are under exposed you will introduce noise...Why would you shoot at ISO 250, were you shooting sports..

fotojack

Shooting in the daytime...broad daylight...whether it's bright and sunny or cloudy....ISO 100 is the perfect setting. Set your White Balance to Cloudy if you want when it's cloudy.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It would be nice if we could see a picture with a 100% crop to evaluate what you are complaining about.

It is sometimes too easy to just go overboard with magnification than you start to get to the pixel level. Sometimes you have to look at the big picture instead of at the grain level.

Myth

I will try to post it shortly. I was trying to shoot for highlights i.e trying to get my histogram more move towards right side. This is because by default 99% of the photos that i was taking the peak appeared to be left on the dark side even without applying any exposure comp. The only way i could do bring to right that time was increasing the iso to achieve that shutter speed. I was in a zoo with lot of tree shades and cloudy day. But the point is how should it matter and dont you expect low noise at 250 irrespective of why it was chosen. Thanks for all your response.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I will try to post it shortly. I was trying to shoot for highlights i.e trying to get my histogram more move towards right side. This is because by default 99% of the photos that i was taking the peak appeared to be left on the dark side even without applying any exposure comp. The only way i could do bring to right that time was increasing the iso to achieve that shutter speed. I was in a zoo with lot of tree shades and cloudy day. But the point is how should it matter and dont you expect low noise at 250 irrespective of why it was chosen. Thanks for all your response.

Was the noise visible mostly in the shadows? Maybe the scene was just too contrasty to be taken within the sensor's range?

AC016

At low ISO numbers, i have never noticed it, but i have never blown up my pictures to inspect them either. Blow any picture up enough and you will find noise. As Jack said, ISO 100 should be the number when outside during the day. If you have to increase your ISO to get the shutter speed you want, why don't you just go into S mode? Set your shutter speed and then set your ISO right down to 100. Anyhow, no real use inspecting you pictures by blowing them up. I think you may always find a little issue.