buying a 55-300mm lens

Jonny g

Hi all,

I thought i'd write up my experience in buying a zoom lens. I have recently got a AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm VR Lens. My buying process was to 1) gain as much info on the subject, which came from here, other internet sites and talking with friends and colleagues who are into photography. I considered weight, functions and different manufacturers. The reviews are subjective but sometimes you can pick up threads, one of which was the VR function. 2) I asked myself what I would use it for and would 300 be better then 200? For me it is. Finally 3) how I would fund it and what i could realistically afford! Believe me there is always a better one for a few dollars more!

This approach led me to developing a sensible balance. Then it was a simple job of buying it and I was disappointed by the poor service from shops in my area. I ended up using Amazon, which I had discounted as I thought the delivery was a big risk. However not only was Amazon cheaper, they delivered on time and daft as it seems it came with a lens bag which although it sounds daft was not the case with some well known high street shops!

Hope you find this useful

Jonny G

Nikon Photographer

Hope you enjoy the new lens, I bought the same lens last year, but because of health problem, have only just got to use it in anger, you won't be disappointed, the lens is pin sharp and does focus very quickly, and in years gone past, I have used much heavier lenses, so weight of the the lens isn't a problem.

Lscha

I did the same thing Jonny, and never regretted it. The lens is handy for long shots, close-ups and it is very forgiving when hand-held.

StringThing

I've had this lens for about a year now. I don't regret for a second buying it. It has a lot of bang for the buck and works well with my D3100.

Here is a shot taken with the 55-300 this past weekend on the beach at our lake spot. (Any good telephoto zoom can double as a close-up lens.)

Frogger | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

fotojack

The 55-300 is one of my favourite lenses. It has good reach and is nice and sharp. I use it on my D200 and the D40. Can't beat the price either! :)

joecap

You will love that Lenes.
I also did the same as you. Got mine Christmas time from Amazon. They listed the price wrong and I was there at the right time and got it for $310.