d7000 vs d90 vs d5100.. HELPPPPP!!!

Kamesh

Dear friends,

For the last four years, I have been using my Canon Powershot S5 IS point and shoot camera. I just simply picked it, not a fanboy :). I can remember my first camera at the age of 11 named SNIPER which I bought for a mere 200 bucks. But, i did produce some brilliant pics using the Manual mode for the last 2 years.

Okay, the point is.. I want to upgrade to DSLR, my first. I have gone through a lot of research over the past couple of months, and I am nowhere near the destination.

The prices here in India are as follows:
Nikon d5100 = 38000
Nikon d90 = 54000 and
Nikon d7000 = 72000 (whooping)

Though I want to go after d7000 by all means, the budget is too tight and there is no way I would be in a position to purchase good glass in the near future. And I am pretty sure that I would be lacking the zoom factor. I am into everything, like, portraits, bird photography, animal photography etc. So, I am well aware that the 18-105mm lens cannot satisfy me all along. Today, I had visited one of the Stores and tried my hands on d5100. It felt pretty small in my hands and the thumb touching the flash on the top. I have noticed the DxO Mark website and saw that d5100 holds in it the same sensor as of d7000. But the difference lies in the egronomics, the top lcd, pentaprism viewfinder, 6fps and few others. Since, I am at the begin my life with a DSLR.

D5100 is reviewed too well at amazon and dpreview.com. But only the size in my hands worries me but it also sits pretty much within my budget. I can get d5100 with kit 18-55mm lens and additionally 55-300mm lens for about 58000 (i want this zoom atleast for the start and I am not afraid of using it with whatever this lens got). But what confuses me is the fact that the body of d7000 is up for grabs for around 58000.

One of my friend suggested me to go for a new (getting old one is pretty difficult though) d90. The only thing which forces me to think about d5100 and d7000 is that it's two generations older than these two. But, I have noticed that it got the built-in motor and also a bigger body with top LCD and comes for about 54000 with 18-105mm lens (even here, I would not be in a position to go for 55-300mm). Not to forget the 12.3 mp.

You might all be wondering, with all what has been said above, the obvious conclusion is d5100. But, I would request you to please throw some light as you guys might have been in this position and worked out your ways.

Rick M

They are all great choices, unfortunately :)

If I were buying a camera today it would be the D7000, if I had less money it would be the D5100.

Why? Because I have no lenses that require an external focus motor nor do I plan on getting any. Also for the sensor in those two.

If you want unlimited use of older and manual lenses, then you must decide between the D90 and D7000, as far as size, they are both larger than the D5100. The D90 is a great camera, you need to decide if you want the newer sensor and processor.

Last edited:

Kamesh

Its about getting the body with just 18-105 lens are getting the cheaper one with one telescopic one.

I understand what ya guys said, but isn't D90 old in the present day scenario?

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

Dave_W

The Dude
If you're buying them from a vendor that offers a money back guarantee, buy them both and take back the one you like least....

Rick M

I would get the best body you can afford first. I find it better to define your shooting style before investing in lenses.

Rick M

Less than 5% of my shots are over 70mm. Determine your range after shooting ALLOT, then get the best lens you can afford to cover it.

Kamesh

I am thinking on the same lines. If its going to be a one time investment, then why not d7000 and be content with 18-105mm lens. But thats stretching the budget. If I have to get the d90 it should only be for the better body and top lcd. LOL

evan

Banned
the d5100 is lacking af motor and many of my favoured functions are only accessible by going into menus. i have the d90, plus the d7000 and would go for these as they are far more of a photographers camera.

Kamesh

In that eventuality, the only inevitable conclusion appears to be d7000. Geez, back to square one. :banghead:

Kamesh

I just want to share couple of pics which I took with my point and shoot

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343495629387.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343495629387.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 255
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343495710839.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343495710839.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 248

emoxley

Don't ever buy two and send back the one you don't like!
The seller then has to sell it as a used camera, instead of new. So, it's dishonest and ripping off the seller. If you were a seller, you wouldn't like someone doing it to you! Besides that, it's just not the decent thing to do. It's actions like this, along with shoplifting, that has prices of stuff so high. It happens with clothing a lot too. The sellers have to make up that money somehow, so they raise prices. Stay honest, please. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you could get a D90 pre-owned at a good price, this is what I would get. Yes, it's considered as old technology, but have a look around on different forums and you'll see that the D90 is still an incredible camera very capable. The main advantage is that you'll be able to get pre-owned lenses (AF-D) that will focus with it and there will be another money saving there.

But it will be your decision at any case since it will be your money.

The only bad decision you can make is the one you won't take. Life is full of compromises anyway.

Kamesh

Thanks Marcel,

But I am looking for a Cam which sees me through the next 3 years atleast.
I am in full agreement that life is full of compromises. Just wanted to know if it would be wise to go for d7000 considering the usage I got.
I can blindly go for d5100, but its size worries me and the next upgrade is d90 with 20k difference in prize and d7000 at 40k margin.

What is happening now is:
I set my eyes on one camera today and as soon as I wake up, the priority changes.

Ball is in my Court now, oh no not again :eek: :thumbup:

Kamesh

If you guys see the above two pictures, can ya tell if I got the basic raw eye of a photographer. If so, I will be content with D7000, :)

Eye-level

Banned
I'm with Marcel. Pre-owned D90 and pre-owned good glass. I don't understand your old technology and 3 year rationale thing. Any DSLR post 2007 or 08 or so is still capable of making first rate pictures and three years from now guess what - it will still make great pictures. Will a D7000 make significantly better pictures? Maybe...in the dark. Don't buy into the marketing and the latest craze/hype deal...particulary if you are on a tight budget.

I'm a real cheapskate. I bought a D5000 which has the same sensor as the D90. Would I like to have a newer model? Sure. I saved a running ton of money by going the route I did. I take tons of snaps with it and have done so for quite a while now. Guess what? My snaps are still mediocre for the most part but I am learning day by day snap by snap. I'll know when I get to a level where the pro model cameras will help me. Until then I can buy glass and use my old outdated by the marketing hype Nikon just as well as any camera.