D800 Images

Photowyzard

Took these in the backyard today. Again, basically point and shoot. These are all taken in direct sunlight, ISO 2000.

Feel free to comment.

Porcelain-Ladybug.jpg

D800-Wasp.jpg

Purple-Flower.jpg

stmv

ok,, is that a typo? ISO 2000? and not ISO 200? With the D800, noise is going to start become a factor over ISO 800, so, if you are in daylight, why push the ISO so hard? I rarely exceed ISO 800, unless under low light, hand held, even my night shots on the tripod is shot around ISO 600.

To get the best dynamic range and colors, best to keep the ISO as low as you can get steady/sharp photos.

but looking at the photos, I am going to bet that was a typo.

Photowyzard

I like to experiment while I learn. I had nothing to shoot in the backyard. I just looked around and shot what looked interesting. Pressed for time to go to a family BBQ.

Why ISO 2000? No reason, I just picked it to see what it would deliver. NOT BAD!!

Here are the specs on the Ladybug:

ISO 2000 (two thousand)
1/5000s
f8
EV 0
Hand Held
Nikon 105mm f2.8 G VR

OK a little crazy, but I am blown away!The wasp has the same EXIF.The flowers were shot with the Nikon 300mm f4 with a 1.4 on it. Just looking for another shot. This was on a tripod! ISO 2000! ;)

See below:

EXIF.jpg

Last edited:

Photowyzard

Do any of you remember me posting this? If not, guess the ISO?

Geisha-Cracking-V.jpg

Check this picture out, posted this one too. Guess the ISO?

These were taken with my D90 with WESCOTT STUDIO LIGHTING!

Geisha-V.jpg

Both these were taken with the 105mm.

stmv

shows how much range DSLRs have now adays. I call it the designed real ISO limits, and in reality these sensors really don't degrade until the amplification current starts to heat the silicon and induce noise, so, clearly by the examples posted, the natural design point has really extended the limits of ISO range before the degraditon begins. However, images downsized for the web, might be quite diffeent than the original file printed up large.

Eye-level

Banned
They did the same thing with film...increased the ASA and used finer and finer grains until they sort of plateau'd out...wonder if it will be the same with sensors? One thing about it is format...35mm format is probably not the optimum configuration for maximum quality in digital imaging sensors I bet. Heck the only reason they used 35mm to begin with was because of the size and readily available motion picture stock which was the most advanced and sophisticated types of film in it's time really. Think about it color photography was invented on 35mm stock quickly followed by 120 I believe. All the hotdog digital backs are medium format.

Art I am envious sort of because you have one impressive camera.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Art how does the 800 feel compared to your D90? I would imagine the pro body is way more better in the hand than the high end consumer body? Have you played with the video at all?

Photowyzard

Art how does the 800 feel compared to your D90? I would imagine the pro body is way more better in the hand than the high end consumer body? Have you played with the video at all?

Great question Jeff. I have been holding the two side by side trying to figure out which of the two I like the feel of better.

Believe it or not, they feel almost the same.

The D800 is slightly beefier and a tad bigger.

The D90 ON/Off button seems to be better quality or more substantial. I don't know why, but I like it better and feel it is more durable. My first impression of the D800 ON/off button was it was cheap feeling and cheap looking.

The D800 has more fancy dials than the D90 and has that pro camera look on the back plus flash syncs on the front.

The real difference is the shutter. The D90 clunks, the D800 sings to me. To describe it as something someone could understand, the D90 sounds mechanical, the D800 seems more cushioned and slick. It is a very nice sound.

This is the best I can tell you as I have only had it in my hands and actually using it for a few hours.

But what QUALITY TIME! I can't say it enough, the D800 is simply AMAZING.

See this image below.

ISO 2000
cropped at 50%
taken with a 300mm f4 + 1.4 TC

Thought I would crop it close to see what it looks like:

D800-Female-Cardinal.jpg

Photowyzard

Here are some images I took with my Speedlight. Both were taken with my 105mm. All settings equal except f stop, see below. I tried these at ISO 100!

Fly

Nikon 105mm f2.8 G VR lens for moth images
SB-910
ISO 100
1/60s
f8
hand held

The Pepper corn is f/22

D800-Fly.jpg

D800-Pepper.jpg

Photowyzard

Thanks Rick, I will make an effort to log my experience as I go along.

I have no personal bias and my only loyalty is to my wallet. If I find something that merits a negative feedback, I will make it honestly, not because I have an agenda for or against Nikon.

I will very likely post a ton of pictures and you can judge also be the judge as to whether or not this puppy is defining technology! :)

Photowyzard

Jeff,

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I AM NOT A VIDEO GUY! :) Sorry I missed this. NO, I have not tried video yet.

I will, since it has this great HDMI feature. Much to my wife's chagrin (along with everyone else in my family who complains I don't do what they want me to do), I have never taken video and have let two very excellent cam-corders rot from lack of use.

When I do take one, I will let you know what I think. Too enthralled with picture taking right now!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh, mine will be here any minute... Just checked tracking and it is "out for delivery". Wooohoooo!

I thought you were going to buy my D700 whenever I was going to take the plunge… :calm:

I guess I'll just have to envy you for a little while. Enjoy the new camera.