Using d5100 dial to change setting

Myth

I assigned the timer function key to ISO. Now when i press it, takes me to ISO setting quickly and i can rotate the wheel to change the iso very quickly. Boom. Very impressed. However, why spinning the wheel does not work for other parameters such as changing shooting mode, exposurecsetting, metering etc. for all these it is annoying two step process. Nikon missed a great opportuninty in terms of ease of use in faster situation. Is there a work around?

KWJams

I have mine set for Raw/Fine and the wheel works in all other functions. Not sure what you have going on there. I know that when you make any changes you have to commit by pressing the ok button.

stmv

ah,, well its call upgrading cameras. That is somewhat the irony that the more expensive cameras are actually easier to use. Camera companies figured that entry level to mid cameras are targeted to folks that want automode/scene modes, and I know quite of few of those folks locally. I teach some photography classes, and often the student will hand me the camera to change a settting, and I am having to dig into menus, etc to make the change. One can usually make the change, just more work.

The fact that you already learned how to re-assign a function means that you read the manual, and are already on the way of being an advance user. Starting with the D7000 and on up, Nikon adds lots of buttons that allow you to press and spin the dial to change settings for quick easy adjustments.

but perhaps a 5100 user can provide more guidance and it is a simple solution.

Last edited:

Myth

I have mine set for Raw/Fine and the wheel works in all other functions. Not sure what you have going on there. I know that when you make any changes you have to commit by pressing the ok button.
Really. I keep mine and tried auto WB and rotated the wheel. Nothing happened. I need to presss ok and then go into next menu to select the right white balance and come out. This is same for choosing raw/jpeg, wb, release mode, focus mode etc...i am talking about the wheel that is next to ae-l/af-l button. It is working great for ISO after you assingn to a functional button.

Myth

Ok. What i realized is the most often parameters you want to change are iso, shutter speed, ap, exposure. All of this can be done using the wheel and one touch. For all other features like image quality, wb, focus mode, af area mode, metering,adl, bkt, pc, flash comp, flash you rarely want to keep changing while shooting. Exception would be metering and release mode which you may want to change with one or fewer click. But again no big deal.

So the myth of canon menu being user friendly is so not true. Some of my friends choose after reading reviews about initutive nature of the menu in canon. beginners like me will find d5100 more user friendly with the nikon GUI.