It Continues

ccoulson

Hi Friends,

Its been about a month since I have updated about the status of my D7k, and all its Drama...http://nikonites.com/d7000/6105-anyone-else-experienced-2.html#post60336

Which BTW thank you all for your kind words, suggestions and feedback.

Here is an update.

I did as was suggested... I called and complained ALOT!!
Did me absolutely no good.
Eventually I called so much that they knew my number, and seemed to have me flagged because they would have my ticket up even before i answered and all of the tech people were so rude, one girl asked me what my problem was......

Finally, I demanded to speak to a manager. The kid on the phone told me that a manager wouldnt tell me anything different than he could. I said I still wanted to speak with a manager.

They put me on hold... for ONE HOUR.. at exactly ONE HOUR... to the MINUTE. the kid gets back on the phone and says... Ma'am.. I will transfer you now.

5 minutes later a "floor supervisor" who sounded exactly like the kid who put me on hold reciting the same script over and over and over. "We will send you a shipping label and work on the camera again" thats all he would say.

I kept trying to explain my contract with a local University Bookstore, and how I was contracted to shoot for them until the end of July that i needed my camera for at least 3 weeks or I needed one to use while it was being repaired(yes I have a backup 5100). He basically told me there was nothing he could do. Mind you. This would be the Third time that I had to send the camera back to Nikon 2 months out of the 9 that I had the camera the camera had been with them and I had been losing business. The second time I sent it it came back worse than before, they "fixed" things that werent broken... and they kept my Nikon body cap and replaced it with a think cheap aftermarket one.

At one point while I was talking I heard him put me on mute... he wasnt even listening to me after i finished my paragraph.. there was a 3-4 second lag... then he said.. i understand... He had no empathy... no Sympathy. No nothing.... Just cold, and rude and playing games with me by putting me on Hold for an hour before even transferring me....

So I got off the phone in tears... completely defeated...sitting there with a camera that I didnt break.. that I purchased thinking I was getting a quality piece of equipment...

So the Next morning I called the corporate office in NY and asked the nice secretary to speak to someone who deals with cuystomer service staff. I explained my story and she apologized and told me to leave the lady a message.... I did. and I never heard back from them.

So. I kept my camera. to finish out my contract with the book store. All the while having to take the battery out every 5 minutes and resetting the camera... having to focus behind and in front of objects to get items in focus... Very very frustrating (I have a 5100 as backup, but I cant seem to get the same quality image out of it as I do my d7k when it is working.)

So i mailed the camera off for the 3rd time yesterday. I went to update my ticket and they had closed my ticket saying they had resolved my issue..ummm no. So Tonight. I guess I will use my husbands phone, and call them again to find out whats going on. They knew I would not be sending the camera immediatly... UGGGHHH.

I understand that Nikon can make a great product I had one in the Cheapy D3000 which was a better performer than my d7k. And I know that out of the 100000s that they manufacture some are bound to have issues, i get it.. thats life . But a good company to me, is measured not by all of the great products they have but how they deal with the very few lemons that slip through the cracks and nikon is horrible at that... or they were to me anyways.

I really am considering just selling the hunk of junk when it gets back...tho i pity the person i sell it to and buying a new camera. Possibly a d700. Id like to go on and get an 800... but Ive heard they have similar issues and I just cannot deal with Nikon customer service ever again. Especially since they have my phone number flagged and are already on the defensive when I call, they just dont take me seriously..

I could use a digital hug from Y'all. and Also suggestions about what you think I should do as far as a next camera. I feel like this is never ending... I considered today switching to Canon simply because I feel like I will never be able to get serious customer service since they seem to have me flagged in support.

Sorry to be a downer... But yall always brighten my day.

Court

stmv

wow,, my sympathy, a sad story, once, Nikon had a proud solid customer repair, famous for going the extra yard, almost sounds like they now outsource the work, and the customer empathy is gone. I posted a thread just today about this discussion with my Canon friends who brag how happy they are with their level of service,

so,, NIKON,, its more than having a fine product, customer service is just as critical.

good luck with your saga.

Dave_W

The Dude
Oh man, that just sucks! If there is nothing wrong with this camera (as Nikon claims) is there any way you can ask them to swap it with a different camera body? This will put the onus back on them as to whether or not it's "fixed"?

Billy Y.

Sorry you are having problems. You could always rent a body while yours is away. I have noticed in scenes with large shadow areas my D7000 sometimes tends to bias its exposure for them, so I often have to dial in some negative compensation in those cases. I assumed Nikon did this because it is easier to pull detail from overexposed highlights than from underexposed shadows. It is possible if the meter is compensating for shadows that you would then have to turn up your Iso to 800. No focusing issues here, does it happen the same with every lens? As for a lot of noise at 400 I haven't experienced this, It does have more noise at 400 then my pentax k5 had, but so does almost every camera in the world. You could get a d300s for around 1200, still a great camera and much less than a d700.
Also, what program are you using for post processing? I have read that for some reason Lightroom displays NEF files as overexposed, but the same photo In CaptureNX appears normal.

Last edited:

Obir

I'm so sorry you keep having problems after all you've been through.
I personally would have given up quite a while back. I would have counted my loses, gone to the closest dealer and traded in for something else.
But again, this is just me. It seems you have gone over every hurdle someone would reasonably go over. At the end it's your happiness that counts though. If your tool is not helping get the job done, then it's time for change.
Again, this is just my opinion.
Best of luck on your decision.

AC016

Sorry to hear about your dilema. I used to work for the biggest electronics retailer in the US for one of their corporate divisions. As i am sure you know, big companies really don't care about the individual consumer. You are just a number to them. You may be kicking and screaming, but there are thousands of others who are praising and happy. If i were you, i would put Nikon in the spotlight. Nikon is a publicly traded company and you are allowed to get the names of all the top management. I suggest you write a letter to the head of Nikon CS - David Dentry is the GM of CR, who is based in NY - and give him every detail you can, with any supporting documents, reference numbers, names, etc. If you don't hear back from his department in let's say 3 weeks, i would take your story to the media. I know this is a bit extreme, but i beleive that this is the only way you will get Nikon to listen to you. Screw the front liners, go to the top!

Eye-level

Banned
Like I said the last time...ditch that camera and get you something else. It is a lemon and you've had enough grief.

The 5100 has the same sensor so I don't quite understand how you can't seem to get the same image quality out of it vs the 7000???

ccoulson

D5100 shooter, I have thought about doing that.

Jeff. The 5100 just doesnt seem to cut it in lower light situtations..

Im frustrated, and I plan on selling it when it comes back from Nikon unless they give me a new body. Which I know they wont, if anything it will be refurbished... and for obvious reasons.

AC016

Like I said the last time...ditch that camera and get you something else. It is a lemon and you've had enough grief.

The 5100 has the same sensor so I don't quite understand how you can't seem to get the same image quality out of it vs the 7000???

Good point. A very rarely use my flash on my 5100. It's a great camera in low light.

ccoulson

Mine just doesnt seem to be as good in low light comparisons ive done. Also the 5100 is not laid out as intuitively as the D7000. The buttons for ISO and all that Jazz are so easy to get to when im shooting little kids and things I need to be quick about. The photos are great. Dont get me wrong. I love the camera just not as much as I did my 7k (when my 7k is working... which is.... hardly ever...)

ccoulson

Hey Guys,

Just an update...
I FINALLY got rid of my awful D7k, and went to the store yesterday to get the new d600...

While there i unfortunatly got my hands on the d800..

and I got it!! (ALONG with a protection plan.... so i wont have to deal with Nikon again)

I havent even had a chance to play with it... LOL. but I cannot wait to when i get off work.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and for all of the suggestions. I really think that I may have just gotten a lemon D7k, and hopefully I have better luck with my new kid!

Courtnie

Dave_W

The Dude
Nice!!! I can say with all honesty that it is unequivocally the best camera ever made. I'm sure they'll come up with something better some day but until then enjoy your 15 mins. I know I am!!!