Date stamp on photos

sjones551

I want my photos to have a date stamp. I've set my D5100 settings, day, time, etc. How do I get my photos to have a day stamp on them?

pedroj

Re: Date stamp on phots

Welcome..

I'm not sure they can be....I think those setting are imbedded in the exif data of your images...

Mike150

Not sure what kind of camera you have so you'll have to rely on your user's manual.

Go to the Setup menu and look for "Date Imprint". (if your camera supports it). The manual should tell you how to change those settings.

fotojack

Why would you want to have a date messing up your pictures? It's already in the EXIF data invisibly. Or do you mean a watermark stamp.....with the copyright symbol and your name and year? Date stamps are usually found on point and shoot cameras, and on prints from a developer.

Last edited:
The one time it might be worth using would be on baby pictures. leave room to crop it out for enlargements. but once the kids gets older you will be wondering when it was shot. you can't always rely on finding the original file in 20 years. Also grandparents you like to have the date on there. I ran a lab for years and a lot of my kids pictures will have the date printed on the back which has helped over the years.

§am

Be warned the date stamp imprint on your pics is pretty vivid and orange and can really ruin a lot of your pictures, and its not easy to get rid of post snapshot.

I accidently left it on when taking some pics for a friends wedding (not professionally) and it's haunted me since

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Another consideration is to add the date (and possibly other information) to the image when you save or print it. Check out this thread that discusses output options using Lightroom.