Diffraction issues with D3200?

Rick M

I'm curious about this sensor and the potential diffraction issues above f5.6. Has anyone who owns the D3200 looked for this?

AC016

Seems like small sensors with lots of MP have been having this issue for a long time - even the D800 has it. I am sure that there is a way to reduce it by tweeking the way you shoot. I looked a bit on Google and there seems to be alot of info about it.

Rick M

The problem is mostly based on pixel density, as you said, more of an issue for the D3200 than the D800. For example, on our D5100, diffraction increases after f8. On the D3200 it increases after f5.6 which is a concern to me if this sensor is used in the new Dx releases. Most of my shooting is between f8 - f14. Unfortunately you cannot get around it. If the next generation of Dx cameras is based on this 24mp sensor, I'll have to rethink my next move.

AC016

The problem is mostly based on pixel density, as you said, more of an issue for the D3200 than the D800. For example, on our D5100, diffraction increases after f8. On the D3200 it increases after f5.6 which is a concern to me if this sensor is used in the new Dx releases. Most of my shooting is between f8 - f14. Unfortunately you cannot get around it. If the next generation of Dx cameras is based on this 24mp sensor, I'll have to rethink my next move.

I am sure as time marches on, this issue will be solved by Nikon. Technology can only get better, right? Anyhow, i found this article and there are some tips about how to solve diffraction problems:

Photography tips » Richard Berry Photography

Rick M

Thanks for the link D5100, very interesting!

Unfortunately diffraction is going to be tough for technology to get around. The tips are good ideas, but ultimately there are trade offs which cannot be eliminated. Since we cannot get around it (to my satisfaction) I have to consider it. On this sensor resolution becomes compromised by diffraction at f7.4, a bit low for landscape photography. This is of course very acceptable for most other applications and for those that shoot under f8 as a norm. With this in mind, for landscape work, additional resolution, say beyond 20mp (on a dx sensor), will be compromised by diffraction.