Canon entry level FX

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm just not that sure it's a war. I think they make most of their profits with lenses. Newer bodies are just a way to keep interest and selling new lenses. I suspect that the two companies meet and discuss their plans. Don't you find it a little strange that they both offer almost the same lenses? 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and all within the same price range. I'd be curious to shop both systems with the same lenses and see what the price difference would be… Has anyone ever done that?

I think that if FX comes down to the prosumer market, it's just so they can sell more lenses since DX lenses won't work to the FX full capacity.

Just another 2 canadian cents.

Phillydog1958

I'm just not that sure it's a war. I think they make most of their profits with lenses. Newer bodies are just a way to keep interest and selling new lenses. I suspect that the two companies meet and discuss their plans. Don't you find it a little strange that they both offer almost the same lenses? 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and all within the same price range. I'd be curious to shop both systems with the same lenses and see what the price difference would be… Has anyone ever done that?

I think that if FX comes down to the prosumer market, it's just so they can sell more lenses since DX lenses won't work to the FX full capacity.

Just another 2 canadian cents.

I agree with all that you said, with the exception of the comment about 2 competitors meeting to discuss the market. That is iillegal in mostly all international markets. That allows for 2 competitors to corner the market, in an effort to drive up profit. There could be subtle, intentional, pre-planned leaks, but to sit down and have an official meeting is downright evil. I'd abandon both companies and their products, if that were ever proven to be be true, and God forbid it to ever be proven to be true. There are international trade laws.

Last edited:

AC016

Canon and Nikon have always been leap-frogging each other. We have to expect that one will mirror the other. Just as we get all the rumours, i am sure Canon and Nikon both keep an eye on each other and perhaps even have some corporate spying going on - not to mention that some folks have lose lips. I can't see the two companies having a sit down though. Anyhow, it will be interesting to see what they come out with.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Both companies seem to have very good marketing departments. They sure know how to create hype about new products with promises of better pictures and using the inflatable neighbor syndrome, read mine is bigger and better than yours. For professional photographers, those whose daily bread depends on quality, these improvements are great. But for someone like me, it's just lust and NAS taking it's toll. What good is a greater camera if I have to work longer hours to pay for it and am deprived of shooting time because of the extra work.

How many of you have missed a shot because your equipment was not adequate?

I still think that lenses are as important if not more than the newer body on the market.

AC016

Both companies seem to have very good marketing departments. They sure know how to create hype about new products with promises of better pictures and using the inflatable neighbor syndrome, read mine is bigger and better than yours. For professional photographers, those whose daily bread depends on quality, these improvements are great. But for someone like me, it's just lust and NAS taking it's toll. What good is a greater camera if I have to work longer hours to pay for it and am deprived of shooting time because of the extra work.

How many of you have missed a shot because your equipment was not adequate?

I still think that lenses are as important if not more than the newer body on the market.

yeah, as i have said before, i am very content with my two cams. I don't think in a million years that i could justify buying a new camera body this year or in the next 5 years, if ever! Both my cams have less than 6k actuations, so i have alot of life left in them. Simply put - as you have pointed out - i have a day job that i am very good at and i don't make any money from taking pictures; therefore, the ultimate reason i would not be able to justify buyng a new cam body any time soon. It just does not make sense for me. Depending on how you look at things, my D80 is obsolete and my 5100 will get there soon, if it has not already.