The D300s replacement

Billy Y.

Does anyone have any speculation on what Nikon will replace the D300s with? I am assuming it isn't the D7000 since the 7000 has fewer frames per second. I would think for Sports and wildlife photographers a fast, pro-quality cropped sensor camera is still in demand.

AC016

does anyone have any speculation on what nikon will replace the d300s with? I am assuming it isn't the d7000 since the 7000 has fewer frames per second. I would think for sports and wildlife photographers a fast, pro-quality cropped sensor camera is still in demand.

d400/600??

Dave_W

The Dude
I have gone on the record as believing the full-frame D600 will be the D300s replacement. I do not believe Nikon will make another professional level DX camera body. Professionals have, by in large, all moved to FX as their mainstay. But who knows...?

Last edited:

stmv

well,, who knows. tons of rumors D400/D600 full frame sensors. Nikon has been submitting patents on lower priced FX lens, which seems to hint that they are going to focus on FX cameras, and would totally support the D300 replacement being a FX. With the D7000 being such a great DX body, just can't see how Nikon could differeniate the D300 sufficiently (I sold my D300).

So, my vote would be a 24 Million FX 1900 dollar D400/D600 replacement.

Last edited:

Billy Y.

But, having sold a number of DX pro grade lenses for DX cameras - they can't just phase them out at this point, well I guess they could, but would have some angry customers....
Anyway I like the D7000, but it seems like Nikon would put something out in the DX format with a bigger buffer, and maybe a few more fps - maybe that will be a D7000 replacement instead of the D300s successor. Like I said though, there isn't any reason I can think of that a Pro wildlife photographer would want an FX camera, it would just add one more processing step - cropping all your photos. Just my opinion though - I am no expert.

Last edited:

fotojack

I have gone on the record as believing the full-frame D600 will be the D300s replacement. I do not believe Nikon will make another professional level DX camera body. Professionals have, by in large, all moved to FX as their mainstay. But who knows...?

That would be like GM saying they're just going to make Cadillacs and phase out the less expensive cars. ;) Doesn't make sense, does it? :) No....Nikon AND GM will always cater to what the public wants in their respective market niches. The DX camera will still be around when I'm dead and buried.

Dave_W

The Dude
That would be like GM saying they're just going to make Cadillacs and phase out the less expensive cars. ;) Doesn't make sense, does it? :) No....Nikon AND GM will always cater to what the public wants in their respective market niches. The DX camera will still be around when I'm dead and buried.

I think you mis-read my statement. I'm not saying DX will go away anytime soon instead what I said was Nikon will no longer make professional DX bodies. I'm sure they'll continue with their consumer and entry level DX cameras but I can't image anyone new coming into the profession would choose a DX over an FX. That's not to say there's not plenty of pro's using their DX bodies out in the field because I know for a fact that they still do. It's just that demand for professional level DX camera is just not there.

stmv

I suspect that a 7200 will be the next DX upgraded camera, a few more brackets, Frame per second, and really not enough to separarate out a D300 DX follow-on, I think the D7000 series satisfies the serious DX shooter which is why I believe they turned on the metering of old glass.

AC016

I think you mis-read my statement. I'm not saying DX will go away anytime soon instead what I said was Nikon will no longer make professional DX bodies. I'm sure they'll continue with their consumer and entry level DX cameras but I can't image anyone new coming into the profession would choose a DX over an FX. That's not to say there's not plenty of pro's using their DX bodies out in the field because I know for a fact that they still do. It's just that demand for professional level DX camera is just not there.

They will always make Professional DX cameras for me. They are known as "Professional Amateur" cameras:) hehehehe

fotojack

No, I didn't misread your statement. I just didn't reply to it right. :) I should had said that Nikon will still make a professional grade DX camera, such as the D200 and D300 are. Even though they don't make the D200 anymore (what a shame), and the D300 is supposedly not being made anymore (another shame), I still believe Nikon will come out with another pro/am grade DX model. Timed will tell, but I'll stick to that statement until I'm unquestionably proven wrong.

AntrimHills

I'm with jack on this; it's only conjecture, but as he said DX has a long life in it yet. I think DX will be the regular consumer market, with serious amateurs being offered either a 24MP DX or 16MP FX camera at the top end of the consumer market (possibly the D400, which would replace the D7000). The D600 will then be the replacement for the D300 at 24MP FX, and that will fit snugly behind the current D800 36MP FX.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I think what made the D300 so successful was the same controls as the D3/D700, pro-level magnesium body and weather sealing. The D7000 doesn't cut it for me. For me to stay in DX, I want a DX version of the D800.

Eye-level

Banned
I wonder if the MP wars will have anything to do with it? I was just on vacation with a whole slew of camera toting folks and there were probably more D300s in site than any other model amazingly enough. All the cruise ship photogs were toting gripped wireless rigs with 17-55 kit lenses which I thought was sort of weird but then again they had umbrellas too.

Last edited:

Billy Y.

I kinda think a 24MP cropped frame sensor is getting to be a little too much, but then I didn't see a need for a 36MP full frame either. That gets you more resolution than what Medium format used to be, which is cool, but I certianly don't ever print anything that size...well not yet anyway.

Rick M

Unfortunately, a 24mp Dx sensor is going to be deffraction limited to f5.6. By f7.4, diffraction will overcome resolution, won't be much good for landscapes. 18MP would be ideal for me.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I think what made the D300 so successful was the same controls as the D3/D700, pro-level magnesium body and weather sealing. The D7000 doesn't cut it for me. For me to stay in DX, I want a DX version of the D800.

Me too, I have to admit that I'm getting anxious.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You guys don't know what you're missing if you haven't tried the D700. Small files but very nice images. I know it's not DX, but it's darn nice.

The D300 still is a great camera only topped by the low iso capabilities of the D700 and the newer D800.

Eye-level

Banned
Oh I am already 1000% sure that I must someday obtain a D700. I don't want anything else except for good glass.

A 300 for DX and backup would be the icing on the cake.

Last edited: