Low Light Indoors Help

joanna_d1576

Hello,

I'm new to this forum...

I'm shooting a birthday party next month that will be held indoors, and the walls and ceiling are all wood. I won't be able to bounce my flash off the ceiling. Any idea as to what settings to use? I'll be either using a 50mm 1.8 lens or renting the 24-70 2.8. I have a YN-560 flash, on a Nikon D5100 and I was going to buy a Gary Fong difuser.... Please help! Thank you! :)

Last edited:

fotojack

Your choice of flash, diffuser and lenses is bang on. One thing I would suggest is to add extra lighting in the room in the way of floor lamps or a softbox. Just remember to adjust your White Balance accordingly. How big is the room? How many people at the birthday party? Will it be crowded? Will you have enough room to work in? Will there be enough room for extra lighting apparatus? Lot of variables involved in doing an indoor shoot, and it seems that yours is an unusual situation. May I direct your attention to this website to give you more ideas:
Strobist: Welcome to Strobist.

Edit: I've been doing some thinking on what you said about not being able to bounce off the wooden ceiling. Not true! You can certainly bounce off a wood ceiling. It's just a matter of adjusting your White Balance to compensate for the colour of the wood it's bouncing off of.

Last edited:

joanna_d1576

Thank you for your response, Jack. I will be roaming the room taking the photos so I won't be able to have a light source with me unless I bring an assistant and I'd rather not. I don't know exactly how many people will be there but it should get pretty crowded.

Marina Village 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That's the venue so you can see what I mean. I won't have natural light for long because the party starts at 5pm. If I set the WB for the wood, will it affect skin tones?