Battery grip and different batteries ..your feedback needed.

emoxley

Sorry I can't help you. I use a grip, but mainly so the camera fits my big hands better. It was just too small without it. I'm not a pro photographer, so I don't take as many photos as you. I took photos at a niece's wedding, and told myself I wouldn't be doing that anymore. I didn't like it at all. I'd much rather do wildlife photos.

I only use the EN-EL 15 batteries. I've set camera to use the grip battery first. I've never even tried the AA batteries. The tray for them is still in the wrapper. The only time I've ever flowed over to the internal battery was when I was keeping the camera in "standby", and trying to get some hummingbird photos, using my wireless remote. I'd have to snap a blank pic every 5 mins. or so, to keep camera in standby so the remote would work, or it would go to sleep. Then I'd have to go to camera, and reset it. Doing this, I discovered it kills the batteries much faster than normal, so I quit doing it. I can't afford to kill any batteries beyond a recharge. At about $50 each, it's not worth it, to me. If I was taking a lot more photos, and selling some of them, it might be more worth it.

Also, since the firmware upgrades didn't really affect anything I was doing, the only time I upgraded was when the very first upgrade came out. Since I quit using standby mode, and don't take great numbers of photos, my batteries last a very long time, so far. Sorry I couldn't be more help to your problem. I just posted this so you'd have some sort of response to your post...................
Good luck!

PapaST

I'm in the same boat as emoxley. I only use the en-el 15 battery in my grip. I've never had an issue with battery life. I'm on 1.0.2