Flash popping up in auto mode

MoonManMike

I know the flash should pop up in automode if the sensors detect that the light is low, but mine pops up quite frequently when the lighting is good. I have however noticed that it seems to do so particularly if there are points of light or if the camera is pointing towards the sun. I find it rather annoying, although appreciate that I can go to the next setting and turn the flash off

I just wondered if this is normal and that the flash is popping up to fill in the shadows or could there be a fault?

Thanks

Dave_W

The Dude
Unfortunately this is normal in auto mode and may be a function of your minimum shutter speed. My advice is to never use auto and instead us P or A. P is pretty much the same a auto with the ability to change aperture (P*). Using auto is tantamount to turning your fine instrument into a point-n-shoot.

MoonManMike

Ah, thanks Mojo. I thought it might be 'normal'

I've only just bought the camera and used auto for convenience at a particular event yesterday. I'm starting to 'play' with the camera now and fully auto mode will probably be consigned to history!

Philnz

Ah, thanks Mojo. I thought it might be 'normal'

I've only just bought the camera and used auto for convenience at a particular event yesterday. I'm starting to 'play' with the camera now and fully auto mode will probably be consigned to history!
Good for you

eurotrash

To manually control the flash settings, you should use the P, M, A, S modes, otherwise yea, it's normal. At least on mine too. It pops up ALL the time when shooting in Auto. I've never owned a camera where that would happen however so it is quite weird. Luckly, I shoot in A or M.

steptoe

Not sure if it damages the camera, but you could try what I do if you use auto mode for a quick shot and hold a finger against the flash to stop it popping up automatically when it does and you don't want a flash for that shot

I know you can disable the flash to never come on, but without getting the camera in front of me couldn't tell you if you can also disable it in auto mode. You should be able to otherwise that's a bit numb to force the flash to be always on just because the camera is in auto mode

AC016

If you are on AutoMode, turn the dial one click clockwise, that will get you into AutoMode without flash. In the end, you want to try and get out of Auto and into atleast P, then you can dive into A, S and then M. Holding down the flash with your finger is not a good idea. This is like sticking you arm out of the window of your car when you want to signal a turn. You don't have to do it if you know how to use your car and it's signals. Please - if you have not done so already - read your manual about all the modes and specifically, about how to use your flash.