Local guy is selling a 300s

TedG954

mint condition d300s
with 18-55mm vr lens
and nikon SB-700 flash include case and stand
8GB sandisk CF card and a camera bag included

He wants $1250. Is this a good price? Is there any conceivable reason I would want this camera over my D5100?

AC016

mint condition d300s
with 18-55mm vr lens
and nikon SB-700 flash include case and stand
8GB sandisk CF card and a camera bag included

He wants $1250. Is this a good price? Is there any conceivable reason I would want this camera over my D5100?

D300s is weathersealed, has more focus points, more cross-type focus points and shoots faster < those are the real advantages that i know of. Still a very good camera, one that you can "absue" a bit more. Body itself - brand new - is 1299.99 locally for me.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The D300s will focus with all Nikon AFD lenses (pre-owned=cheaper), is more rugged and would give you faster frames per second. Wether this is something you need/want is all up to you to decide. IQ wise, your 5100 (correct me someone if I'm wrong) has the same sensor as the 300s.

AC016

The D300s will focus with all Nikon AFD lenses (pre-owned=cheaper), is more rugged and would give you faster frames per second. Wether this is something you need/want is all up to you to decide. IQ wise, your 5100 (correct me someone if I'm wrong) has the same sensor as the 300s.

can't be the same sensor if they don't have the same number of MP. Image processor is different to. Sensor in D5100 is done by Sony (D300s sensor could be done by Sony or any other Japanese company with the capability to make wafers) - Nikon only develops the sensor and has somebody else make them and i beleive this has been going on for a long time, if not forever. Nikon does not have a wafer fabrication capabililty. Please add any further info if desired. - and is ever so slightly smaller.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for correcting me. The 5100 has the same sensor as the 7000. I guess (second guess) the D300s has the same sensor as the D90 then...

stmv

yes,, I would recommend going from the 5100 to 7000 if you are looking for more features, but the 300s is a great solid, semi pro body, with broader bracketing, faster, compatible with the full range of Nikkor lens from the last 50 years, but way heavier.

AC016

Thanks for correcting me. The 5100 has the same sensor as the 7000. I guess (second guess) the D300s has the same sensor as the D90 then...
5100 does have the same sensor as the D7k as far as i have read. If you go into reading about the world of sensors, it is a bit clouded in mystery. There was even rumours of Nikon going into the manufacturing of their own sensors, but i would find that hard to believe and a huge investment that has many pitfalls.

Obir

Just my thoughts...
On the d300s, you're getting into "pro" territory (although still DX format).
Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D300S
Your d5100 however, has newer technology (sensor, processor, etc.)
You'd need to consider if the "pro" features on the d300s are something that you'd be making use of...like: more fps, better built, beefier AF system, interfaces, dual card slots, etc., etc.)...and if they're worth the investment for the type of shooting you do.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Ted, looking at your shots I think you're doing fine with the camera you have now. Would a new camera make a better photographer out of you, I doubt it.

My humble opinion is that camera bodies are expenses while camera lenses (good glass) are investments.

It's your money.

TedG954

Ted, looking at your shots I think you're doing fine with the camera you have now. Would a new camera make a better photographer out of you, I doubt it.

My humble opinion is that camera bodies are expenses while camera lenses (good glass) are investments.

It's your money.

Yes. I believe that's the point. I have a long way to go with what I already have. Thanks.