planning to buy a new nikon

DilySetiawan

Dear all..

I'm using D60 now.. since it's already outdated now, so I'm planning to buy a new one..

I'm interested in D3200, but my friends said that D7000 is the best one.. And I'm just a beginner, not a professional photographer.

So, could u all suggest me which one do I have to buy? :)

Thank you!

AC016

Well, the D7K is a good camera, but the best? I hardly think it is the "best" Nikon. It may be the "best" for them, but maybe the D3200 is the "best" for you. it really depends on what you want from the camera and it also depends on your budget. There are plenty of comparisons out there that you can read when it comes down to the speeds and feeds of both cameras. Personally, i think you will be very happy with the D3200 and you don't need to be a "pro" to use the D7k. Though, if you are a beginner, as you say, all the bells and whistles on the D7K may distract you from learning more about the fundamentals of photography. That being said, i am sure you will get a bunch more answers that are different and i am sure you will get a bunch of D7k pimps telling you otherwise as well.

Dave_W

The Dude
Both the D7000 and D3200 are great cameras but it really depends upon how far you want to take your photography. D7000 has more room for growth than the D3200 however the D3200 is is half the price and comes with a lens. Ask yourself first what are you looking to do with your camera? After you answer that question the camera you should buy will be an easy choice.

Mike150

Like Mojo and D5100 said. What are you looking for. Feature wise, the 3200 will not get you much more than the D60 does now. Sure, it has twice the megapixels, but are you going to be blowing shots up to poster size? The 3200 is a very good camera but I it is still rated as an "Entry Level" camera. From your post, I get the feeling you are looking for a more feature oriented camera. Two I can think of off the top is Auto Exposure Bracketing and Depth of Field Preview. Both are on the D7000 but not on the D3200.

Google comparisons between the two. Only you can make the final decision, but it seems to me that the 3200 only gets you more megapixels than what you are now using.

I've had my D60 for over three years now and would upgrade to the D7000 in a heartbeat. Problem is the heartbeat is controlled by the lack of funds. It seems my wife thinks dinner each day is more important than a new camera.

AC016

Like Mojo and D5100 said. What are you looking for. Feature wise, the 3200 will not get you much more than the D60 does now. Sure, it has twice the megapixels, but are you going to be blowing shots up to poster size? The 3200 is a very good camera but I it is still rated as an "Entry Level" camera. From your post, I get the feeling you are looking for a more feature oriented camera. Two I can think of off the top is Auto Exposure Bracketing and Depth of Field Preview. Both are on the D7000 but not on the D3200.

Google comparisons between the two. Only you can make the final decision, but it seems to me that the 3200 only gets you more megapixels than what you are now using.

I've had my D60 for over three years now and would upgrade to the D7000 in a heartbeat. Problem is the heartbeat is controlled by the lack of funds. It seems my wife thinks dinner each day is more important than a new camera.

I think he will get far more with a D3200 than a D60, come on! Nikon D3200 vs D60 - Our Analysis

About 5 years between the 2 cameras, there better be more advantages then the MPs and there are.

AC016

Thank you D5100Shooter :) Now I could also see the differences between D3200 vs D7000..

D7000 is the winner.. but as Mike150 said that D7000 is much2 more expensive than D3200.. really tough decision..

Now you can hate Nikon for making it hard for you to decide, lol:p

Rick M

Thank you D5100Shooter :) Now I could also see the differences between D3200 vs D7000..

D7000 is the winner.. but as Mike150 said that D7000 is much2 more expensive than D3200.. really tough decision..

Meet in the middle and get the D5100, more features than the D3200, same sensor as the D7000, half the price

Rick M

That whole we gotta eat arguement is way over used and rated :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Go in a store that has both. Take them in your hands, bring your own memory card, shoot a few pictures with both, leave the store and go home to your own computer, have a look at the pictures and then make up your mind. You can always find "friends" that will try to convince you that you need what they have… As a matter of fact, is you camera broken? If not, maybe you don't "have" to get another one. It's fine to want one but do you really have to?

Another point is that if you're looking to buy the best out there, it's going to be more expensive than the middle of the road product. If you can afford the best, then just settle for the second best and enjoy your decision and your new camera.

Enjoy your Nikon! Use it for picture taking, not to be approved by your "friend".

AntrimHills

For what it's worth, I'll throw a spanner in the works.

If you think the D3200 is maybe too entry level, and the D7000 is too expensive, do what I did initially and consider the D90. It may be an older model, but it is still a great camera. You can get a D90 with an 18-105 lens for very little more than it takes to buy the D3200 with an 18-55...

And you get a lot of camera for the money

DilySetiawan

Meet in the middle and get the D5100, more features than the D3200, same sensor as the D7000, half the price

hmm, D5100 sounds interesting also.. :) I will check it the differences between D5100 and them.. And now, it seems more difficult to choose, hahaa..

Btw, why u finally choose D5100?

Rick M

hmm, D5100 sounds interesting also.. :) I will check it the differences between D5100 and them.. And now, it seems more difficult to choose, hahaa..

Btw, why u finally choose D5100?

I started out with a D3100 but decided I wanted auto bracketing. The upgrade difference was only about $200 so I got the D5100 for AB and the better sensor. I've been very happy with the D5100, but will probably upgrade again for a more pro body. The d5100 is a decent compromise if you cannot afford the D7000 right now.

evan

Banned
i use the d90 as a back up to my d7000. i can honestly say that it is no poor relation to the d7000. far more robust and better featured than the d5100. also, a lot of the d5100's features are menu driven, plus it has no built in motor so, if you need AF, you will be restricted to the more expensive af-s lenses.

fotojack

Evan beat me to it. :) I'd go for the D90, also. Hell of a great camera. Go on EBay or Craigslist or Kijiji....if you have these places-----and look for a good 'previously enjoyed' camera.

If I didn't already have the cameras I have, I'd have gone with the D90. As it is, I'm lusting after a D300, but..........like mike150...........lack of funds. :)

Geoffc

why lust after a d300? a lot of d300 owners were a bit peeved when the d7000 was released.

Because the D300 is a better overall package. I took my 7000 back after a week and paid the extra cash to UPGRADE to a D300s. I had previously used and seen a lot of D300 picture examples because my wife has one. I made the mistake of choosing the 7000 first because I read the paper specs. Using it was a different matter. Mainly I didn't like the IQ which is quite important for a camera. I also prefer the pro layout on the 300. From memory the 7000 even had scene modes. Interesting!

It's also interesting to see how the price of the 7000 has dropped so much recently. The places that still have stock of the 300s are still charging what I paid over a year ago!!

I've never seen a thread before that suggested unhappiness amongst D300 owners because the D7000 was released. That would be like me being jealous of P&S owners with 8mp cameras when I had my 6mp D70. Different product for different jobs.

I don't want to get into a D7000/300 debate but I think your statement is strange. Both are good cameras, but different. Jack has always said he would like a 300 and I assume he thinks that way for the same reason as me. Personally I wouldn't swap my year old 300s for a new 7000 plus cash and I can back that statement up by my original purchase actions.

AC016

The OP said he was looking for a "new" Nikon camera, meaning something that is current - and obviously "new" and not used. Why are you guys pushing a D90 on him? This is a discontinued/replaced camera! The only advantage that a D90 has over a D5100, is the in-body focus motor, that is it! Everything else spec wise, the 5100 beats the D90. Saying that a D90 is more robust is a bit of a stretch as well. A D90 would make a gret secondary camera. But with the likes of the D5100, D7000 and even the D3200, why would he buy a discontinued camera as a primary camera? I really don't understand why you are pushing a discontinued camera on this guy when there are quite a few current models that a far better.