planned out my next lens bag

eurotrash

I like traveling light. Body, 2 lenses, one attached is ideal. Maybe a light low-light prime mixed in there..
I shoot architecture sometimes for profit and random business and goings on around town/forests, on hikes and such. So here's what I came up with.

-5 Million Dollar Home (or whichever fits my gear plus a shell if it rains, perhaps a candy bar too) Really wish they made this in a waterproof or at least water resistant material though.
-New D7100 (whatever it's going to be called) OR New D400, still need to decide on this when specs are out. Should be weather sealed though.
-Nikkor 16-85 (walk-around lens)
-Tokina 11-16 (UWA)
-Nikon 35mm 1.8g (for when I know I'll encounter low light. I'll leave the Tokina home sometimes of course as it's a pretty specialty lens anyway and the 16-85 will likely cover most of my needs down to low light. I also already own this one so I needn't spend extra money. Considering swapping this for the new 40mm though...thoughts?)

And....THATS IT! My back will thank me. I think 85mm is enough reach to be honest. I just don't see myself missing it as much as I fear I will. I'll be renting these lenses for a full week just to see what's what before I buy of course.

What do you think?

dnapol

Love the Tokina. Shot a lot with it and I think it is simply one of the best on the market. Im looking into buying the FX Tokina wide angle to use on the d800 :)

stmv

definitely, I use a belt bag for the spare lens so the extra lens has no effect, and than converted one of those water backpacks as an ultra lightweight camera bag when not using the SLR (and people don't know you have an SLR when not in use).
My walkaround kit is a 20-35 2.8, and 35-70 2.8, and than a 200mm F4 (ultra small tele with 52 mm filters, and super quality). So,, one lens pouch for the zooms, and one pouch for the small size tele).

sometimes,, I'll just carry primes (20, 35, 50, and 135). depends on my mood.

AC016

I like traveling light. Body, 2 lenses, one attached is ideal. Maybe a light low-light prime mixed in there..
I shoot architecture sometimes for profit and random business and goings on around town/forests, on hikes and such. So here's what I came up with.

-5 Million Dollar Home (or whichever fits my gear plus a shell if it rains, perhaps a candy bar too) Really wish they made this in a waterproof or at least water resistant material though.
-New D7100 (whatever it's going to be called) OR New D400, still need to decide on this when specs are out. Should be weather sealed though.
-Nikkor 16-85 (walk-around lens)
-Tokina 11-16 (UWA)
-Nikon 35mm 1.8g (for when I know I'll encounter low light. I'll leave the Tokina home sometimes of course as it's a pretty specialty lens anyway and the 16-85 will likely cover most of my needs down to low light. I also already own this one so I needn't spend extra money. Considering swapping this for the new 40mm though...thoughts?)

And....THATS IT! My back will thank me. I think 85mm is enough reach to be honest. I just don't see myself missing it as much as I fear I will. I'll be renting these lenses for a full week just to see what's what before I buy of course.

What do you think?

Travel light = good idea!

eurotrash

What's everyone's opinion on trading up to the 40mm 2.8? I'm not saying I would sell the 35mm 1.8, but.. I dunno if the 5mm and psuedo macro ability would be worth a few hundred bucks.

Of course, this purchase would theoretically happen after all the other junk.

Rick M

I use the think tank belt system, it's fantastic. You can go light with just the holster or bring the whole farm. Hands free is great for my hiking and climbing around. I use Tamrac lens pouches on it as I like the way they close better than the think tank pouches. The 10v2.0 holster fits the D5100 perfectly with quick release tripod mount attached. The depth is perfect with the 16-85 attached and unzip the extension for my 70-300, another perfect fit.

I sold the 35 1.8 and got the 40 2.8. The 40 is more versatile and 35 isn't really wide anyway. The 40 is small and light for the very occasional macro I do.

The 16-85 is a great range and extremely sharp/wide.

Last edited:

eurotrash

That does sound really good, I'll have to look into that belt thing seriously. I was under the impression that the 40 would be a better choice since it has a few features that the 35 doesn't. I don't think I'll miss the 35 too much anyway. What avenue did you sell your 35 through? Camera store? Online?

Rick M

That does sound really good, I'll have to look into that belt thing seriously. I was under the impression that the 40 would be a better choice since it has a few features that the 35 doesn't. I don't think I'll miss the 35 too much anyway. What avenue did you sell your 35 through? Camera store? Online?

I sold it on craigslist.

BTW, The think tank holster bags also come with a high quality shoulder strap if you want to use it that way too and a built in rain cover.

Last edited:

eurotrash

I usually carry with an Op/Tech strap which is some kind of real nice neoprene material and a wrist strap. Love the combo for it's versatility. Just wish I could carry less most days. A 35mm can't cover everything I encounter. As much as I love primes, I see their fatal flaw. Distance.

Rick M

I usually carry with an Op/Tech strap which is some kind of real nice neoprene material and a wrist strap. Love the combo for it's versatility. Just wish I could carry less most days. A 35mm can't cover everything I encounter. As much as I love primes, I see their fatal flaw. Distance.

Yes, distance is an issue. Many times I've found the optimal spot for a waterfall shot might be on a rock in the middle of the stream, can't exactly move forward or back to accommodate a prime lens. Nor do I want to be changing lenses in the mist.

dnapol

Just an update on my last post, I went ahead and purchased the FX Tokina Wideangle and it is a beast, love it!!

Also ordered a D800 to couple with the lens, can't wait to see!!!

eurotrash

So the 16-85 is worth it? Does that phase out the 11-16? Should I go for the 10-20? or how about something else? I'm still up in the air on the 18-105 vs. 18-200 vs. 16-85, and the time is drawing nearer and nearer when I'm going to purchase.....AUGH!!

Rick M

It comes down to shooting style. If most of your "walk around" shots are below 85mm, then the 16-85 will give you the highest IQ in that range (although it is not a good "bokeh" lens). 90% of the shots on my website are from the 16-85. Personally, as long as I stick with Dx, I'm going for the nikon 10-24 for versatility.

fotojack

So the 16-85 is worth it? Does that phase out the 11-16? Should I go for the 10-20? or how about something else? I'm still up in the air on the 18-105 vs. 18-200 vs. 16-85, and the time is drawing nearer and nearer when I'm going to purchase.....AUGH!!

These are the lenses I would get in order of preference: 11-16, 16-85, 18-105. My favourite of the bunch......the 18-105. Nice general all around walk around type lens. Can't go wrong with it. For wide angle shots, definitely the 11-16. . From what I've heard from my pro photo buddies, the 16-85 is an awesome lens, but not for bokeh, as Rick has already attested to.

Unfortunately, there is no do-it-all lens. they all have their pluses and minuses, and they all have their niche in photography. It all depends what's important to you.

eurotrash

very sound wisdom indeed. I think I'll just pull the trigger and go for it. i COULD rent one for like, $40 but I'd much rather put it towards the actual glass. It's very likely that I'll fall in love with it anyhow. I'm not a fan of superzoom focal lenths just because I rarely use lenses at that range.. I might buy something longer down the road, but I'd have to really really need it. I still have my cheapo Tamron 70-300 so I could always fall back on that one if I really just need range and am willing to comprimise on IQ. I want the 11-16 as well and I'm pretty hell-bent on that one too. So in about a month, I'll pull the trigger on both and have a blast.
Thanks everone!