Anyone do lightning? Post 'em here.

I'll open with these.

dsc_9293.jpg

dsc_9232.jpg

dsc_4397.jpg

And my favorite.
dsc_0593_wp.jpg

Geoffc

I would like to but we don't get that much in the UK. I'm sure loads of examples will be posted now to contradict that statement.

grandpaw

Very nice shot! I always like the lightning and fireworks shots more when there is some foreground included and not just a shot taken of the sky.
Jeff

AxeMan - Rick S.

Anyone that's been around for a while knows I play with Lightning. I can't let this thread go by and NOT post a few for you.

I can't remember what it is called but please DO NOT LINK these photo's to or on other sites.

Thanks

DSC_2895-1-1.jpg

DSC_3337 8 x 10.jpg

DSC_5164-8 x 10.jpg

DSC_7765 copy 8 x 10.jpg

ABN Panzer

1st the disclaimer.... this was back in 2000... Using an older Nikon (Film)
And unfortuantely it is a piss-poor scan :(

We had an electrical storm roll in on us while we were shooting gunnery (M3A2 CFVs) in FT Carson Colorado. Always brought my camera to the field/Range. I think I had it exposed for 20-30 seconds (I knew nothing about proper settings... Who am I fooling? I still dont know much about it but am going to learn)

But here is the pic.

3ACR Gunnery Storm.jpg

Last edited:

Tami Jo

I haven't yet tried shooting lightening. But I am hoping to learn and give it a shot soon! Any special tips, settings for capturing lightening? Anyone familiar with a lightening trigger?

N_Addy

Here's my technique. Works every time and no expensive trigger needed.

1) Pick a dry, safe place with a comfy chair and good view of the oncoming storm.
2) Set the camera to the following:
- Manual focus set to infinity
- Shutter Priority
- Exposure time anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds (depending on ambient light)
3) Mount a wide-angle lens and point it towards the heaviest part of the storm.
4) Sit back with an adult beverage in one hand and a remote shutter clicker in the other.
5) Click, drink.
6) Repeat step 5.

Just keep clicking. On a good stormy night you're bound to get quite a few good shots.

Tami Jo

Here's my technique. Works every time and no expensive trigger needed.

1) Pick a dry, safe place with a comfy chair and good view of the oncoming storm.
2) Set the camera to the following:
- Manual focus set to infinity
- Shutter Priority
- Exposure time anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds (depending on ambient light)
3) Mount a wide-angle lens and point it towards the heaviest part of the storm.
4) Sit back with an adult beverage in one hand and a remote shutter clicker in the other.
5) Click, drink.
6) Repeat step 5.

Just keep clicking. On a good stormy night you're bound to get quite a few good shots.

We've sure had a bunch of storms lately being monsoon season but sadly gaining a great view during such is the more difficult feat. As soon as I have some time I will try it using these tips!