The Recycling of Lens Design By Nikon 24-84 3.3 AFS ED

stmv

Nikon has the benefit of having a deep pool of designed lens. Lately, it seems they are more likely to re-surface an old lens and add VR and call it new.

An example is the excellent 24-85 ED 3.3 AFS full frame lens. This lens came and went fairly quickly but was a well designed and highly regarded lens.

Personally, I decided to buy a used copy for 195 dollars versus the 600 or so dollars for a new version.

Primary difference is VR, which is nice, but not a critical function for me, and not worth the cost premium.

Finding used copies are fairly easy, between 150-200 dollars depending upon shape, but fairly rare overall.

stmv

Also, I am excited about this copy, sounds like a great walkaround lens. I usually carry a 20-35 and a 35-70 as my walkaround, but this new 24-85 single lens will really have this range covered. Light weight, and optically well rated.

I really don't like bulky heavy lens. I have a 80-200 2.8, and while a lovely lens, hardly ever use it, its a tank. I have checked out some of the newer Nikkor 2.8 zooms, and their weight (besides high cost) discourages me from buying. In a studio, or a non mobile outside venue -> sure , but walking around 4-6 hours, I really prefer the lighter weight zooms or primes.

So, from I can tell, the old 24-85 AFS,, or for those that want the VR version, might be an excellent choice for some. I'll post some shots once I get the lens. and provide feedback of what I think of the lens.

I really love the 35-70 (although my copy is getting worn out), so, I will be comparing it to that, or my primes.

stmv

A few more subtle changes as Nikon recycles old lens design, The first is that the VR function adds bulk, so the older lens is more compact, the second is that the older lens is still made in Japan, while the newer consumer lens including the new Nikkor 24-85 AFS VR are made in China. I am sure the move to China is what is helping keep the lens to a reasonable 600 dollar price, but kinda miss the old Made in Japan sign of quality.

stmv

Lens arrived, did some test shots, what I do like is the range, and the way you can tune the MF without having to turn off the AF. Got to say, the build quality is so so, compared to my tank of a lens 35-70, but the range is the benefit.

I'll have to compare the sharpness between the two, but this lens definitely a nice walkaround lens for my D800.