Future plans with D7000 for filmmaking?

twistyblue

Hi, a little background of myself. I have a D3000 with a kit lens and I had this camera for about 2 years now. I want to make a jump to a D7000, but quite not sure whether I should or not.
I enjoy taking pictures of friends and family so mostly portraits, but I do use D3000 when traveling. So I feel that I'm ready to buy a new 35mm f1.8 lens. But now I would
also want to film few moments whether its with family, girlfriend or friends or maybe street performances.
I am in no hurry to hurry to buy the D7000, and theres rumors going around that maybe a D7100 will be released soon.
I've been talking to few friends of mine and they say I should just get D60 or maybe a D70 when it releases since Canon has a stronger side with film and i'm sort of leaning to this.
The problem... I'm not in hurry to buy these high end crop sensors cameras, but I do not want to buy a 35mm lens and later switch to canon and buy new sets of lens...
from fellow nikonites... I ask you guys, whats better to do? buy the 35mm now and shoot for 2 to 3yrs with it and maybe after upgrade to D7000 or D7100? or wait maybe a year or 1.5yrs and buy canon equivalent?
BTW I am not trying to make this into a nikon vs canon thread, I just want hear advices from this forum, on what to do? I like my D3000, and I've seen footage of what D7000 movie and the capabilities can do. But would it be better to buy Canon? Thanks for reading my long post. and lots of advice would be appreciated.

pedroj

Hi, a little background of myself. I have a D3000 with a kit lens and I had this camera for about 2 years now. I want to make a jump to a D7000, but quite not sure whether I should or not.
I enjoy taking pictures of friends and family so mostly portraits, but I do use D3000 when traveling. So I feel that I'm ready to buy a new 35mm f1.8 lens. But now I would
also want to film few moments whether its with family, girlfriend or friends or maybe street performances.
I am in no hurry to hurry to buy the D7000, and theres rumors going around that maybe a D7100 will be released soon.
I've been talking to few friends of mine and they say I should just get D60 or maybe a D70 when it releases since Canon has a stronger side with film and i'm sort of leaning to this.
The problem... I'm not in hurry to buy these high end crop sensors cameras, but I do not want to buy a 35mm lens and later switch to canon and buy new sets of lens...
from fellow nikonites... I ask you guys, whats better to do? buy the 35mm now and shoot for 2 to 3yrs with it and maybe after upgrade to D7000 or D7100? or wait maybe a year or 1.5yrs and buy canon equivalent?
BTW I am not trying to make this into a nikon vs canon thread, I just want hear advices from this forum, on what to do? I like my D3000, and I've seen footage of what D7000 movie and the capabilities can do. But would it be better to buy Canon? Thanks for reading my long post. and lots of advice would be appreciated.

I just don't get it twisty....If I was you I would get both brands

By the way what does film have to do with YOUR decision...Films way off track of what you've written about...

twistyblue

well I only have a budget for one camera, since both brands model are well over $1K. Also the I like to record videos for few things. I can easily get a camcorder but most camcorders just don't give that shallow DoF or that cinema look. And it is easier to carry around one device than two, when I go to family gathering and such.
So my question is for a 50% photography and 50% recording video, which camera should I buy?
I kind of lean towards the nikon D7000 because I want to buy the 35mm lens and play with that for a bit, but in long term wise if canon keeps bringing out superior video quality then is it worth to invest in a nikon lens now?

pedroj

"So my question is for a 50% photography and 50% recording video"

Sounds like you want half a camera...Better buy a canon...:rolleyes:

As I said before what does film have to do with it all...:confused:

Have a look at the D4 video....Is canons video really any better..."I don't Think So"

Cheers

Last edited:

twistyblue

Sorry for not being clear. Film as movie film sorry haha.
See that's the thing... both cameras there's not much difference and both are great and once you start using color correction both look similar but I watched few D7000 vs 7D without any edits and in my eyes, the 7D has a bit more brighter colors... why is that?
Also I checked Nikon site but couldn't figure out what video codec does the D7000 use?

Dooku77

So are you asking if you should get a D7000 or a 7D? I left canon for Nikon and couldn't be happier. For what you get for the price the D7000 it's worth it. 1600 bucks for a 7D was not worth it at all unless your plan on doing mostly DSLR videography for production purposes. I video all the time with my D7k and get phenomenal results and I always manual focus.

Dooku77

The only way to truly test these cameras is to have them in hand. They both have manual settings during movie mode, so it is hard to tell from online reviews.