D800 got raped

sir arthur

Bought a new D800 from official Nikon Shop, took about 50 pictures and when i get hold of a shutter count software, the last picture show my shutter count 112.
Meaning my D800 was not a virgin?
I think Nikon should not hide or make the shutter count visible on camera menu.

Last edited by a moderator:

TedG954

Re: D800 got rape

Couldn't the extra clicks be part of Nikon quality assurance? It's not really that many (62) and for what you pay for an 800, individual QC checks are very possible. I certainly would prefer that someone at the factory tested my camera before I received it. Virgins can be over rated.

KWJams

Not sure, but if your shots are jpeg singles and not fine/raw, bracketed etc, the count would be for each exposure.
So if I am correct 112 divided by two (RAW & Fine) that would be about 56 shots.

stmv

jeesh,,, 56 out of 200,000 shots,, yup sounds like it was worn out. Just be thrilled that you got your hands on one. if it was like a 500-1000 shots, than would kinda wonder, but these cameras are so rare, that they are not hanging around a shop being handled by hundreds of people.

stmv

These cameras are built so well, would be really hard to wear one out. I think the highest DSLR for me is currently around 50K. I think that per camera, I run between 15-25k a year, so the risk of wearing out a camera is really low.

I sometimes wonder how much a shutter mechanism costs? Seems like worse case one could always replace the whole mechanism assuming that the camera has any value left by that time.

Dave_W

The Dude
I can relate to the OP's feelings. Usually when you first turn on a new camera is asks you want language you want to use and where you're located, etc. However, when I first turned on my D800 it didn't ask any of those thing and was automatically on English. So the first thing I did was check the metadata thinking I had gotten someone's return camera but to my pleasant surprise the first photo I took was image #1. I know it's all a mental thing and 50 out of 150k is nothing to worry about but when you're paying big bucks for something like this you want it to be it's first and only....

TedG954

Where's the OP in this dialog? For his very first post, a Nikon complaint, on a Nikon based site, I was hoping to hear more.

Photowyzard

Welcome to Nikonites, Sir Arthur.

Sir Arthur got me thinking so I checked mine.... bang on. Started at 0 or there about. I have exactly 50 shots on mine and give or take, the count is what it should be.

Got raped?

Well, I don't agree, although, when I spend $3K I would prefer to be the first hands in the box. I am not sure I would lose any sleep over 50-100 clicks.

You might want to call the store and ask why?

Hope to hear from you again as you have not posted for 10 days!

Ranie,
Never heard of this Shutter count thing going up on LV. Have to try it and see.

Last edited:

Geoffc

I had the same thing with a 300s last year. It was a setting in the camera which tells it to start counting from the last image number on the SD card. I put an old card in and had image 3765 or such like. You can change the setting. A shutter count reader would give the correct answer. I suspect the D800 works the same way.

jabburns

I bought a used D700 at a local camera store a couple days ago for $1400. To my surprise, the shutter count on it was only 685!! I thought the thing looked brand new, but I had no idea! Sometimes you win one!

carguy

If you bought it from a shop, it may just have been potential buyers checking it out.

My thoughts as well. between that and maybe quality checks?

I'd have to hear from others who bought a new camera and how many clicks were logged.

Welcome to the site BTW :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This thread is a year old and the original poster just posted once and was never seen again. Maybe it's time we bury it.

480sparky

This thread is a year old and the original poster just posted once and was never seen again. Maybe it's time we bury it.

Before you close the thread, I'll offer one suggestion: Perhaps the camera was originally set to Custom Setting menu : File Number Sequence : Off. This would have caused the file numbering to reset to 0001 whenever the camera was turned off. So the OP played with the camera, taking 62 images, turning it on and off, and resetting the file numbering to 0001 every time the camera was turned off.

Then the OP changed the setting to ON, and the camera would resume numbering, adding 1 to the last shot. This would explain the '62 shutter actuations prior to receiving' issue.