Using a tripod with VR turned on

Dave_W

The Dude
So I've heard many times over that you should not use VR when your camera is set on a tripod and I suppose that also applies to a monopod, because it's counter-productive. In the past I've just taken this as fact because I didn't really understand how VR worked but now that I have a modicum of understanding (a very small modicum, mind you), I don't see why VR would be a bad thing when you're using a tripod. Seems like having the VR floating element released when connected to a tripod would be the same as a very steady handhold, doesn't it?

Does anyone understand why using VR on a tripod is a bad thing?

N_Addy

I tend to agree with the conventional wisdom. Anything you can do to reduce vibration is a good thing. So... assuming you have a good, sturdy tripod (this is most important), and assuming you are skilled enough to not jerk the shutter... why would you want to introduce the mechanical vibration (however tiny) of a VR motor if it isn't necessary?

Just my $0.02.

evan

Banned
ha ha, it will make a little noise when it is activated. by the way, the cannon version will sense if the camera is steady and deactivate itself automatically. come on nikon, get with the program!