300mm lense ?? help me pick one

momsquam

wow, who would have thought it would be this difficult to pick. I have spent hours going through the forum just looking at everyones questions and responses about which lense is best.
I have a d3100 w 55mm kit lens and 55-200 DX VR. the 200mm just doesn't quite get the reach I want. I want to keep the 55 & 200 so I have choices for specific things. I do find myself changing back and forth alot, and I would like to get a 300mm that avoids having to change so much rather than increase to swapping 3 lense around. not to mention I just hate it when I'm out taking pictures of the pooch acting stupid when a hawk flies overhead and all I get is something that looks like a bug.
I had thoght about getting a nikon 28-300, but alot of people here seem to prefer the 70-300. I'm getting confused about how to know which lens will increase range b/c of being DX vs FX.
Is that why it would be better? Is there another 300mm that would better fit what I'm rambling on about ?

pedroj

I would have to agree with Glen with his choice..What is your budget...Maybe a Sigma 50-500 or !50-500mm might be the go, but both can be a little slow focusing on dull days...More stuff to get your head around...

evan

Banned
the 70-300 ed vr is a sound choice on a budget, the 300mm f4 with the 1.4 tc would be better for reach but would need a tripod as it lacks vr. the sigma 150-500 is said to be good up to 450mm. the sigma 50-500 is said to be better still, (a different design to the 150-500). try before you buy would be best. perhaps you could do a deal with a local shop to rent a lens or two and have the rental cost deducted from the price of the lens you choose to buy.

co2jae

I have almost the exact same questions you are having regarding the lens choice. One of my friends just got the 70-300 mm nikon and I put it on my D7000 because I thought it was going to be my perfect choice (money vs reach vs need) but I was not as impressed with it's zoom as I thought it would be. I am going to shoot outside at snowboarding events so distance can be consistently 400 feet away. Another friend always seemed to get great shots of his kid so I called and he uses the Siggy 150-500 on his D90 and I love his results. Thats the reach I want so now I'm debating whether or not my wife will divorce me if I start buying tyhousand dollar lenses (because we all know it will get wrse...)

Stangman98

I have almost the exact same questions you are having regarding the lens choice. One of my friends just got the 70-300 mm nikon and I put it on my D7000 because I thought it was going to be my perfect choice (money vs reach vs need) but I was not as impressed with it's zoom as I thought it would be. I am going to shoot outside at snowboarding events so distance can be consistently 400 feet away. Another friend always seemed to get great shots of his kid so I called and he uses the Siggy 150-500 on his D90 and I love his results. Thats the reach I want so now I'm debating whether or not my wife will divorce me if I start buying tyhousand dollar lenses (because we all know it will get wrse...)

What I have found is the key to these situation is instead of buying thousands in gear, attempt to get closer to the action. Work at it. Yes there are times that you will need a zoom. If you are going to start spending huge dollars just get the Nikon 200-400 and a 2x TC

pedroj

200-400mm F4 will put you out of pocket some where between $6500 to $8500...Compared to sigma's 150-500mm F5/F6.3 price of $780 to $950...I think he would be more likely talk the boss into the the sigma over the nikon at the price difference...I know there will be those that say "what about the quality" my missus would say something like "don't like eating" or "sell YOUR car"

co2jae

I know Pedroj is correct in my case. The Nikon is WAY out of my price range. I plan on getting the 70-300 Nikon and getting as close as I can (without getting thrown off the course) all the while Hoping Santa (boss) brings me the siggy for x-mas instead. Either way, I have a bit of time to be good, dream a little and shoot away with what I have.

momsquam

yes my hubby wouldn't be happy if he even knew I considered a couple of those nikon gems. I think the sigma 150-500 would be good for setting up for birding and wildlife, so that may show up on my christmas list. but Stangman is right, most of the fun is squirming your way up to the perfect spot and waiting for the shot. For now I want to keep looking into something easier to travel with and more flexible (the kid and hubby aren't patient about waiting for me to get the perfect shot). I hadn't really considered the teleconverters before. That is something I started to look at and see what is compatible with which lense. that might be the way to go, finding a good lense/tc combo.

I did come across reviews for a nikon 18-300mm that sounds like the perfect answer....its not out of the ball park in price.... but, Nobody seems to have it in stock ??