Telephoto rental suggestion for Denali trip

AK Badger

My hubby and I are lucky enough to get to drive into Denali Nat'l park in September. We got to do this last year as well, and we saw at least 20 bears and a slew of other wildlife. It was wonderful, but we only had my husbands Nikkor DX 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G lens and we just couldn't get the zoomed in shots we dreamed of. I want to be so zoomed in I can pick the boogers out of a grizzly's nose!

We plan to use LensRentals.com to get a couple of telephoto lenses to bring with us. I'm using a D7000 which is my first DSLR and still pretty new to me (though I've at least made it through the manual :D). The lens I'm looking at renting is the Tamron 200-500mm f/5.6-6.3 SP Di LD. What's got me worried is there's no sort of vibration reduction and I have a pretty unsteady hand. Sure, I'll be bringing a tripod with me, but I don't know whether I'll be able to handle this lens even if I used our vehicle for support if I needed a quick shot.

Any other lens suggestions would be welcome. While I didn't pick this lens because it's the cheapest, money is kind of an object. Not so much so that I want to cheap myself out of a decent lens, though.

pedroj

My hubby and I are lucky enough to get to drive into Denali Nat'l park in September. We got to do this last year as well, and we saw at least 20 bears and a slew of other wildlife. It was wonderful, but we only had my husbands Nikkor DX 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G lens and we just couldn't get the zoomed in shots we dreamed of. I want to be so zoomed in I can pick the boogers out of a grizzly's nose!

We plan to use LensRentals.com to get a couple of telephoto lenses to bring with us. I'm using a D7000 which is my first DSLR and still pretty new to me (though I've at least made it through the manual :D). The lens I'm looking at renting is the Tamron 200-500mm f/5.6-6.3 SP Di LD. What's got me worried is there's no sort of vibration reduction and I have a pretty unsteady hand. Sure, I'll be bringing a tripod with me, but I don't know whether I'll be able to handle this lens even if I used our vehicle for support if I needed a quick shot.

Any other lens suggestions would be welcome. While I didn't pick this lens because it's the cheapest, money is kind of an object. Not so much so that I want to cheap myself out of a decent lens, though.

Sigma have a couple that have OS, 50-500mm and 150-500mm[OS Sigmas version of VR]

Then you can go for their 300-800mm F5.6...Link below

A Review of the Sigma 300-800mm f5.6 zoom lens

Last edited:

Stangman98

I will only reccommend Nikon lens.
I would suggest the 200-400, 400 f/2.8, or the 600 f/4. If you need to rent a TC rent one of those also. Once you get into those big glass lenses you will want a sturdy monopod too.

evan

Banned
the bushmaster shoulder support looks like a handy tool for long telephotos. built-in shutter release options too.