Slight vignetting

AntrimHills

I was out on Sunday shooting my first pictures with my new D7000. I was using the kit lens the 18-105. I had a skylight filter on, as well as a circular polarizer (both Hoya screw filters), and the standard kit lens hood. I noticed when I was uploading the photos to the computer that shots taken at the 18mm end had vignetting for a couple of millimeters at the corners. Surely the lens isn't picking up the edge of the circular polarizer?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ed

evan

Banned
the 18-105mm lens is supplied with a petal type hood. the larger of the petals should be positioned top and bottom, the smaller petals to the left and right. if the larger petals are left and right you will get this problem.

Dave_W

The Dude
The more contrast you have when using a cir polerizer the more vignetting you will get. Especially when you're in the wide angle territory.

evan

Banned
try the process of elimination. start with the lens at 18mm, take a pic and check for vignetting, then add hood, ,; check again, add polariser; check again; uv filter; check again........simple! (a lot of people have the hood mounted incorrectly as i mentioned previously).

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
From - Landscape Photography

Vignetting – A Painful Reality?
Speaking of vignetting, wide-angle zooms often have such a wide angle of view that the edges of the photos catch the edge of the holder and every photo has darkened edges. After doing numerous tests, I have found that the Cokin P-holder and/or the drop-in sprocketed P-sized polarizers will cause vignetting on lenses wider than a 24mm fixed focal length lens or wider than 28mm on wide-angle zoom lenses with full frame sensor cameras. For example, I see no vignetting with my 24mm TSE lens but I see serious vignetting at 24mm on my 24-70mm zoom when using a sprocketed polarizer and a P-sized holder. With APS-sized sensors, you can shoot as wide as 17 or 18mm without vignetting, so popular lenses such as a 17-40, 17-55, or 18-200 work well with a Cokin P-Holder on these smaller sensor cameras. If you do not own nor plan to own lenses wider than stated above, you are safe to use a Cokin P-holder without running into vignette issues.

AntrimHills

Well I did already try the elimination process, which is why I asked about it catching the edge of the filter and not the lens hood (I may be mistaken but you cannot put the lens hood on any other way but with the small petals of the hood to the left and right). I just can't understand how it catches the edge of the filter; I've never seen it before on a wide angle lens

grandpaw

I used my Nikon D7000 with a Sigma 17-50 lens on it to shoot this picture. The picture is only just a test picture and is not meant to be a keeper. It was shot at 17mm with a UV filter, a polarizing filter and a lens hood on it at F2.8, the widest F-stop the lens would go to. Nothing has been done to this picture except to resize and post. I intentionally made the top left corner with the white cloud in it so the vignetting would show if there was any. I would like to add that both filter are the standard version and neither are the slim type. Jeff

_DSC6851.jpg

AntrimHills

Well I'll post a pic so you can see what's happening...

PIC_0035small.jpg

I tried it with two filters stacked (UV and PL-C) expecting it to be worse, but it made no noticeable difference...

The image was shot at 1/100 sec f11.0

Last edited:

David Wells

I found that I cannot shoot at 18mm with two filters stacked (UV+Circular Polarizer.At 18mm, you get "tunnel vision" and vignetting shows up in the corners. I removed my UV haze filter from the stack, leaving the circular polarizer on and found that the vignetting still existed at 18mm, but smaller. So now I don't go down to 18mm if I have my polarizing filter, but it's ok to do so with a lone UV filter. Hope this helps.

AntrimHills

I found that I cannot shoot at 18mm with two filters stacked (UV+Circular Polarizer.At 18mm, you get "tunnel vision" and vignetting shows up in the corners. I removed my UV haze filter from the stack, leaving the circular polarizer on and found that the vignetting still existed at 18mm, but smaller. So now I don't go down to 18mm if I have my polarizing filter, but it's ok to do so with a lone UV filter. Hope this helps.

I have now found that with the slim frame UV filter on, there is no vignetting; with the CIR-PL on , there is vignetting, as is the case with both filters on (but little difference between the two). I'm just going to have to remember that when shooting wide angle...