Reducing noise in video mode - any tips?

tobba007

Hey guys,

So as a recent purchase of a D3100, I'm very happy with the photo quality. Still learning how to use the semi-automatic modes, but getting the hang of it slowly.

Read a lot about the motor noise during video problem. It's horrendous as far as I'm concerned, I've switched back to doing the video stuff with my wife's Lumix point-and-shoot camera which is silent and does a great job.

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a workaround to avoid motor noise when shooting video?

best,

Mike
(sorry if I'm repeating a question already answered somewhere on the site)

Jon

I usually don't use Full-time servo mode so it would not keep on focusing so less noise from the motor. I also have an external mic and mounted it on a L bracket. No irritating noise for me. I hope this helps.

tobba007

Thanks for that Jon, very helpful. I've been firing the release shutter to continuously refocus during filming - is that the same mode?

And I thought an external mic just wasn't supported on the D3100 - do you mean you have a standalone sound-recording device that you use in conjunction with the camera?

thanks again - sorry for the newbie questions :)

Mike

Jon

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry but I have a different model that's why I could hook up the mic directly to the cam. How about trying it in the manual mode? It should be quieter.

tobba007

Yes, I should try that.

Funny, I only realised recently that you can switch the lens to M and then focus manually. A bit scary to mess with the delicate equipment when you're not used to it, but that's what it's there for. Again, most of this is new to me.

Just so know, the D3100 in continuous focus mode produces horrendous noise that basically ruins (for me) any audio you've got going on in the scene.

Will try some manual shooting and see what happens. Don't mind shooting from a static position either - it's just not worth shooting with all that motor noise.

Alternatively, I could turn off sound...

thanks again,

Mike :cool:

Jon

My typical setting is at 24 fps with 1/50 shutter speed in manual mode. I then adjust the ISO to make it brighter. You can also set it at 30 fps with 1/60 shutter and 60 fps with 1/120. The 1/120 would be good for action videos especially if you want to process it in slowmo.

The best part actually, when you start changing lenses. I can't do this with my camcorder or even on my point and shoot camera. I like using my prime lenses with the videos. You can also adjust the picture control for example if you want that film-like feel.

tobba007

Yep, looking forward to branching out with new lenses, but only when I understand the basics of semi-automatic modes first.

There are so many interacting elements, it's hard to get it right sometimes.

I think I've got the Aperture mode down now: I open it up fully for max depth of field and use single point focus to zero in on someone's eye for example. You can get some amazing results. Shutter mode, not so good yet. Programmed mode haven't explored and Manual is out for now too.

Lots to learn!

Thanks to all for the help here.

Mike