So impressed every time I use them

Geoffc

This year I purchased the Tokina 11-16 and the Nikon 70-200 vrii. Every time I use them I'm taken by how sharp they are on my D300s. It goes some way towards compensating for my bad composition :)

Whilst both are impressive the winning prize would have to be the Tokina. To put it into perspective, most raw files need a bit of sharpening, but these look fine straight off the camera.

I just thought I'd share that.

Dave_W

The Dude
Although I've never tried the Tokina, I've yet to meet a 3rd party lens that I liked. So I'm curious about this Tokina. I'll have to see if my buddy's got one at his store.

Rick M

I'm stuck between the Tokina and Nikon. My local shop has the Nikon, but I'm avoiding it until I decide on my next body.

Geoffc

I've never used the Nikon so I can't personally compare, however I read every review out there before eliminating he Nikon and Sigma UW lenses.

The Tokina is sharp and I can't imagine the others being sharper, however it is the 2.8 that ultimately influenced my decision as well. If you only ever shoot landscape at F8+ then that is not a factor. Since getting it I have used it indoors where flash is not acceptable many times, in museums and church situations so that decision was sound.

evan

Banned
i was all set to get a new ultra-wide angle until i tried comparing results from various group pools on the web. it seems that they all suffer from one problem. this is a kind of white fringe or ghosting on high contrast edges such as roof tops and skylines. (my tamron 11-18 also did this so i sold it). this cannot be cured in post process. very dissapointing. i have been wondering if this is just a character of the dx format?

Last edited:

Geoffc

i was all set to get a new ultra-wide angle until i tried comparing results from various group pools on the web. it seems that they all suffer from one problem. this is a kind of white fringe or ghosting on high contrast edges such as roof tops and skylines. (my tamron 11-18 also did this so i sold it). this cannot be cured in post process. very dissapointing. i have been wondering if this is just a character of the dx format?

Evan

On my D300s I don't really notice this issue and I am about bit of a nuisance when it come to zooming in on the PC. However I found the D7000 didn't deal with high contrast edges the way like it with any of my lenses. For that reason I took it back and paid the extra for the 300s.

evan

Banned
in my post i commented that i had browsed through a few flicker groups and noticed this happening on a number of different camera models. and, i never mentioned even using this lens on my d7000! in fact i only used it on my d90. the d7000 seems to give softer edges when used at default than the d90, possibly because of its finer pixel density.

Last edited:

Geoffc

in my post i commented that i had browsed through a few flicker groups and noticed this happening on a number of different camera models. and, i never mentioned even using this lens on my d7000! in fact i only used it on my d90. the d7000 seems to give softer edges when used at default than the d90, possibly because of its finer pixel density.

Sorry I didn't even know you had a 7000, I was just commenting on something I saw on the 7000 I tried. I guess if you don't like the effect you see it's not worth the cash.

I did months of research before buying the Tokina and it has never disappointed me. It's a bit like the 7000, I didn't like the images it produces, yet thousands would swear buy it. For me it just didn't produce crisp edges and I saw the same thing when a friend sent some images from his. Having said this I am not going to get into kicking the 7000, as it is purely a personal thing and the fact that my wife already had a D300 which was my benchmark for image production.

In reality it's like all the gear we buy; it's rarely the thing that causes rubbish pictures :)

Bukitimah

That Tokina is one lens I am finding an excuse to buy. Right now I hardly take indoor wide angle. Well, I will look out for a good deal.