Water proof?

Bukitimah

Well, many readers have asked if the D300 is water tightness enough under the rain. I got a chance to 'try' it out recently.

I was in Vietnam mid week and travel to Mekong river for a boat ride. I would consider it a boat but a little canoe that can takes 4 passengers with 1 rower. Once on board, it starts to rain but quite light. I still manage to steal a few shots.

DSC_3639.jpg

Then it starts to pour and we are in the middle of the river. There is no turning back but just continue upstream to the bigger boat waiting for us. That 15 minute ride is like hours. I tug my camera under my body but I am still totally soak even with my rain coat on. I always keep a spare rain coat in my camera bag. I would advise to do that just in case. You an see from the photo taken before the rain, only a handful wore rain coat and those without them are in for a big trouble.

fotojack

Yeah. OK, let's be clear here.......the camera is water resistant, not water proof! I would still not take it out into the pouring rain or have it fall into a river or lake or whatever other body of water. And like Bill said, the lenses aren't sealed, so they can be damaged by water penetration in a good rain.

Rick M

Yeah. OK, let's be clear here.......the camera is water resistant, not water proof! I would still not take it out into the pouring rain or have it fall into a river or lake or whatever other body of water. And like Bill said, the lenses aren't sealed, so they can be damaged by water penetration in a good rain.

Ok, guess I gotta stop taking pics of people in their showers:)

stmv

I had the misforturne of a tripod mishap, and the D700 tumbled into a stream (in april, spring melt), I managed to dive in, get it back. The water poured out of the lens, but just some water into the Camera.

The mistake was sending it back to Nikon, they sat on it for a week, and then sent it back as non-repairable. So,, I opened it up, dried it out in the oven at 120 degrees for 30 minutes, cleaned it, put new battery in, and yup,, powered right up.

I used the local pro repair shop to professionally have it cleaned and serviced.

So,, If you do drop it into water, I would advise quickly drying it thru low heat, and finding a local repair shop that can service it.

This was fresh water, I hear that salt water is a killer.

Bukitimah

I had the misforturne of a tripod mishap, and the D700 tumbled into a stream (in april, spring melt), I managed to dive in, get it back. The water poured out of the lens, but just some water into the Camera.

The mistake was sending it back to Nikon, they sat on it for a week, and then sent it back as non-repairable. So,, I opened it up, dried it out in the oven at 120 degrees for 30 minutes, cleaned it, put new battery in, and yup,, powered right up.

I used the local pro repair shop to professionally have it cleaned and serviced.

So,, If you do drop it into water, I would advise quickly drying it thru low heat, and finding a local repair shop that can service it.

This was fresh water, I hear that salt water is a killer.

Wow, that was terrible. I would normally strap my camera to my sling even when it is mounted on the tripod unless I need to take protrait of myself using a remote control. You never know if it is going to fall off that tripod.

stmv

yes,, I had a firm grip on the tripod leg, but not the strap,, lesson learned. just wanted to pass on the information that these cameras can be saved even if dropped in water.