D7K buffer speed

Dooku77

This has probably been covered, but when I was shooting a sports event I was using continuous high to take my 6 fps. When I shot the 6 shots it would slow down while the camera was cleaning out the buffer (which I knew it was going to), when I took my finger off the release acquired focus and went back to take some more shots it would do anything. No pics at all. I don't recall seeing this in the manual. I'm using a 32gb sandisk extreme class 10 30mb/s. I was shooting large jpeg only.

if you could just re read that and correct the english as it does not make sense

one example ....
eg it would do anything or do you mean would not do anything

Dooku77

I typed this out on my iPhone and I was trying to get my thoughts out quickly. For the nutshell version: my buffer was clearing, I let go of the shutter button, went to take another picture, nothing happened.

We have had this on a few occasions with two D7000 we turn them off and on and it then usually works ok ......I think its the fact that it cannot focus that prevents it from taking a picture ...both cameras have the latest firmware...????

Ps you dont speak perfect english you speak perfect american (english)

Last edited:

Red Rover

OP, how did you resolve the problem and continue shooting? did you have to turn it off and on as pistonbroke suggested?

Last edited:

Dooku77

Next time this issue happens then I will resort to shutting it off, I do not want to do this while the pics are saving to memory card

Dooku77

How long before you could shoot again without having to shut it down?

About 1 minute. Until its done saving the pics to the memory card. Will not take another picture. Once it's all done only then will the camera take another set of shots or let alone a single picture

Mrmover

You might want to consider switching to a UHS-1 rated sd card. They write at up 95 mbps, I use the San disk extreme pro and don't experience any buffer problems.

Dave_W

The Dude
I've noticed there's a difference in speed when my battery is clear full vs. 1/4 full. Not that I think this would account for your observation but clearly writing to and emptying the buffer sucks up a lot of battery power. But you may be able to limit this occurrence with a freshly charged battery and/or a battery grip.....maybe.

Dooku77

I've noticed there's a difference in speed when my battery is clear full vs. 1/4 full. Not that I think this would account for your observation but clearly writing to and emptying the buffer sucks up a lot of battery power. But you may be able to limit this occurrence with a freshly charged battery and/or a battery grip.....maybe.

I have my delicious grip on there already. I gave up taking pics after that and shot video for the rest of the night afterwards. But yes my battery had gotten down to about 3/4 before I made the switch.

does not matter if you turn it off during saving of pictures it still stays on until the download is finished ...just dont eject the battery ....waiting is not an option at a wedding ...roll on the D7200 /D400 ....it seems quite random but will not shoot if you have a monotone subject ..try to focus on a blank wall ...it will not focus and will not release

Vincent

I thought the buffer discussions on new machines was a strange discussion.

This weekend I followed this guy on Hi speed shooting. (I forgot to go to jpg, always shoot raw only):
Colmar Berg classic motorbike 44 white.jpg

Then these came along:
Colmar Berg classic motorbike 54 black.jpgColmar Berg classic motorbike 90 flames.jpg

The D7000 can clearly shoot a burst of about 10 pictures (slowing significantly at the end) then some pictures, then stops for a while. First time this was bothering me, most of my bursts are slow and 6 pictures max, here I needed more on the straight.
I put the pictures to show, yes this is a limit to the D7000. No it does not stop you from getting good pictures.

P.S.: I actually first shot with my D70s since my lens was on that one, the D7000 is lovely compared to that.

===============================
I checked it out here: https://photographylife.com/nikon-dslr-buffer-capacity-comparison
D750 does not seem to add to the D7200 on buffer (they are better then the D7000), for some significant improvement the D4 or D4s seem needed.

Last edited: