D800 asymmetric focus issue

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Does yours have that problem Mo-Jo?

In every consumer good product, there are a number of problems that can go undetected even upon close inspection at the end of the production line.
The good thing about Nikon is that (even if they are not going public with the problems) they will repair the defective units under warranty. This is why I find it important to buy local or make sure your unit is not a grey import.

Just like car manufacturers sometimes detect problems after the units are out in the field, cameras are affected by the laws of mass production. This is why consumers associations often recommend to avoid the first batch of a new product. But with the help of "Nikon Rumors" website, Nikon are assured of selling all their new units like hot cakes, making it even hard to keep up filling up orders. So as long as there will be people wanting to get the newest hottest product before his neighbor, there will be defective units coming out. But eventually, all these little productions snags will be ironed out and the product will be great.

So you're lucky to have the D800 specially if it doesn't have the reported problem with uneven focus problem.

Dave_W

The Dude
I didn't think it did, all my shots came out razor sharp. But one afternoon I was bored and I decided to do the experiment properly with a tripod and have the camera hooked up to my computer via Camera Control. Sadly, my far left focus was soft compared to middle and far right. So yes, my camera suffers from it. In fact, it's beginning to look like nearly all D800/E's have this issue and may have arisen from a subtle misalignment in their final adjustment QC. It's good that Nikon has figured it out and is now fixing the camera's that are being sent in. It's unfortunate that the shipping costs to either El Segundo or Melville are on our own dime. I'm working with my local dealer and hoping the Nikon rep will pick this one up in the same manner he did with my D7000. El Segundo is not very far from me, too far to drive but cost of mailing w/ insurance isn't nearly as much as it would be for others. If the dealer/rep won't pick up the tab I think I'll go ahead and send her in myself. I'm not looking forward to the downtime but I do have my trusty D7000 to pick up the slack.

Photowyzard

Sorry to hear your camera lost its mojo, Mojo! ;)

This is something that really gets me a little worked up. A manufacturer sells you something that is defective from the get-go, and you have to go out of pocket to get it fixed under warranty?!

I find this grossly unfair and poor business practise. I am currently #2 on the waiting list at my local camera store. I should have mine within the next few weeks, I hope.

Let's hope it has its MOJO in tact! They have been making these now for 5 months. I would hope they have it figured out!

Dave_W

The Dude
I've got my fingers crossed your copy is spot on. On the bright side, you did good buying from a local dealer instead of over the net. I called my guy and he's sending the camera in for me on Nikon's dime, so all I'll be out is a week or two. This is a level of customer service you do not get when you buy from B&H or Amazon.

Btw, here's a nice write up on exactly what Nikon is doing to fix this issue - D800 autofocus repair overview « hifivoice

Photowyzard

I've got my fingers crossed your copy is spot on. On the bright side, you did good buying from a local dealer instead of over the net. I called my guy and he's sending the camera in for me on Nikon's dime, so all I'll be out is a week or two. This is a level of customer service you do not get when you buy from B&H or Amazon.

Btw, here's a nice write up on exactly what Nikon is doing to fix this issue - D800 autofocus repair overview « hifivoice

Thanks for the link.

Glad to see it is being done as a CUSTOMER SERVICE. Exactly as it should be. You should NOT be put out of pocket on a WARRANTY issue.

In regards to buying my camera from the Local Store, here is what I think on this:

a) It keeps the local store in business. That is important to some degree to me. I like to get a good price, the store matched the going prices, so I have no complaint. If I save $50 online, I will lose it on shipping and gain some grief when there is an issue! No thanks. ;)

b) I have seen D800's on ebay and on Craig's list etc with Bozo's trying to get a PREMIUM on the camera! NO THANKS. I like my WARRANTY papers in MY NAME.

c) The Local Camera store will bend over backwards to help you out because they want you coming back. Online guys can be good to.... but you have that USPS, UPS or Canada Post GAP to worry about. No thanks.

When I spend $3K, I like to feel it, smell it and kick the tires before I walk out. There is nothing more frustrating then getting something in the mail, only to have to go through all the grief of returning it when it is defective.

In fact, I just had this experience with a Nikon F5 I purchased and had to return due to a focusing issue! The grief and time involved isn't worth it.