Need a general picture posting forum

grandpaw

Need differnt picture posting forums

I don't know if I am missing something or not but I do not see any place to just post a picture that I would like people to see without specifically posting something in a thread of just my pictures. When I come to a photography website my first goal is to see great pictures and get inspired by other peoples work. If in the process I see several pictures of a member that interest me I will seek out their work by checking out their gallery and check them out more. To me the pictures come first and are the main objective not seeing what a particular member has decided to take a picture of and post that day. If I find a member that does work I like I will seek out their pictures. To me it is about the pictures not the members that is the reason I come to a photography site. I was told to place all me pictures in a single thread and to add to it each time I would like to add another picture. To me having it set up this way emphasizes the individual member first and the pictures take a back seat. For example, with it set up this way if I have an interest is in a particular subject such as flowers then I have to look through every individuals threads to see if they have taken any of the subject I am interested in. As the amount of members grow and I have to spend hours looking through threads to find pictures that I am interested in I will end up going else ware to find pictures. To me having it set up this way is more like each individual having a blog showing what they managed to get a picture of that day. I like to take pictures of many different subjects and post them for other people to see. The way it is set up now, if you come to my thread and the first couple of times and you look at the pictures I post and are of a subject that just doesn't interest you then you may never return to see later pictures that are of a totally different subject that you may really like. I like this site and find the members here very helpful and they get along with each other in a friendly way. I plan on hanging out here for a while so I would like to see this site just get better and better. Jeff

Last edited:

Lscha

I'm thinking they will direct you to the 'Learning Photography' section where you're no more than 5 or 6 clicks away from the subject of your photo. Unfortunately, if you don't check the new posts section often, you will miss some. Views are few in your own thread and I have missed some great ones because other posts pushed the new ones off the 'new' section. Nice to categorize everything but I found that if an option to see ALL new posts since my last visit (without 3 extra clicks) was available I wouldn't miss so many. JMHO. Mods, put the handcuffs away, I'll behave. :)

Last edited:

grandpaw

Re: Need differnt picture posting forums

I take pictures of many different subjects and thought that I would post a picture of a Magnolia. I looked and Learning Photography was one of the places that I looked. There is not a category that a flower picture would fit in so I just placed it in my gallery here on the site until someone can show me the proper place to post it. I know there cannot be a category for each and every situation but the choices are very limited. I just can't get in to looking up what each individual decides to post just to see if it is something i might be interested in. I am fairly new to this site but I just can't imagine someone saying "I just have to see what Jeff posted today". I wish I took pictures good enough to have that happen. Well, maybe some day if I keep practicing, LOL. Jeff

Dave_W

The Dude
I think the ideal place is to start a thread in the "Project 365 and Daily Photos" and then keep posting your photos in the same thread. I've got one going called "Mojo's Image Thread". Or you could post the photos into a blog and tell a little about them.

Patrick M

I think photo critique might be a good place if you're not doing a 365 day type thing

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

I take pictures of many different subjects and thought that I would post a picture of a Magnolia. I looked and Learning Photography was one of the places that I looked. There is not a category that a flower picture would fit in so I just placed it in my gallery here on the site until someone can show me the proper place to post it. I know there cannot be a category for each and every situation but the choices are very limited. I just can't get in to looking up what each individual decides to post just to see if it is something i might be interested in. I am fairly new to this site but I just can't imagine someone saying "I just have to see what Jeff posted today". I wish I took pictures good enough to have that happen. Well, maybe some day if I keep practicing, LOL. Jeff

Hi Jeff. Have a look in the learning photography. There is a thread about Post your flower pics: Post your flower pics

When there is a will, there is a way. :)

PhotoAV8R

...if an option to see ALL new posts since my last visit was available I wouldn't miss so many. JMHO.
Scratching my head here...

There is such an option here - "New Posts" at the top lleft of the page. It will also show other unviewed posts before your last visit. I always use such a link as a bookmark to forums.

grandpaw

I do appreciate the different replies to my post and thank you for them. I guess I did not do a very good job explaining my problem so I will try it again and see if I can do it any better.

I am not interested in starting a thread and placing every picture I want to post in the one thread for everyone to come and see what I took a picture of each day. That reminds me of Facebook and I do not consider myself at the level of photography that there are members that cannot wait each day to see what I might have taken a picture of. When I post an occasional picture and people find it interesting they have the option to look at my gallery here on the site or go to my website that can be accessed through a link in my signature if they want to see more. I would rather post fewer pictures that will hopefully be more interesting than just a snapshot that I run out and take each day just to have something to post. It is like going over to someones house and looking at vacation pictures for hours, a few are interesting and an endless supply gets boring.

I could post a picture in the critique forum but I am not really looking for a critique but just want to show an occasional picture that I thought may be worth looking at.

As far as the "post your flowers here" thread for the picture that brought this all up I have one question to ask. Do I find this in the Learning Photography section under the sports, automotive, architecture, wedding forum or where? I was given a link to send me to it but unless I go back and use the link I was provided, just how would I locate it? If I came to this site looking for pictures of flowers which one of these forum do you think visitors would look in?

Myself , I just do not think that there is a bunch of people out there just waiting to see the results of what I get from pushing my camera's shutter button each and every day. My goal is to hopefully get you to say, "I like that image and I am looking forward to seeing what his next outing brings", and not, "this is what he had his camera pointed at today". I enjoy my photography and want others to enjoy it also and not get bored by what I post. If I change my mind I will start a blog.
Jeff

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Jeff, I you just click on <Forum<Learning Photography and then scroll down, you'll find many threads of different interests. Flowers, bokeh, food, etc.

When you see the "+ Post New Thread" in the little yellow box top left, you can start your own even if it's just for posting one photo. But if you dig in, there usually is a thread open for many many subjects.

grandpaw

Jeff, I you just click on <Forum<Learning Photography and then scroll down, you'll find many threads of different interests. Flowers, bokeh, food, etc.

When you see the "+ Post New Thread" in the little yellow box top left, you can start your own even if it's just for posting one photo. But if you dig in, there usually is a thread open for many many subjects.

Thank you very much Marcel, that is just what I was looking for. As you have already noticed, I have posted my flower picture. Thanks again for all of your help. Jeff