Hello from Atlanta,Ga!

d5100mama

Hi, I am new to the world of dslr... I just purchased a d5100 and i can't wait to start shooting! I am afraid of making a mistake, silly i know. I just want to get out there and have fun. I have two kids and I am sick and tired of paying so much money for bad pictures. So i am taking it upon myself to take pictures of my kids and of beautiful nature!

Mike150

Welcome Mama.
First off, don't be afraid. The solution to a mistake is "Delete File"
Digital photos are extremely cheap. Take *LOTS* of pictures. You can compare them side by side to find the keepers. The more shots you take, the better your chances of finding that perfect one.0

Nikon has a short video on the 5100 at Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Other than that, read your manual. Look for a camera club in your area. I'm sure there are several to choose from.

d5100mama

Thank you! I received my camera today, charged the battery and was so excited to get out and start shooting!!! This weekend the kids and I are going to the park, explore, and see what we can get into!! Hopefully we come out with some great shots! :)

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites, mama. :) Congrats on your new camera. Take your time with it, read the manual, don't get discouraged or impatient, learn to hold the camera steady for better shake free shots, read the manual, keep the battery charged, keep your lens(es) clean, read the manual, have fun taking a zillion pictures, read the manual................. ;)

What lens are you using, by the way? I'm guessing it's the 18-55 or the 18-105. Either one, they're both great lenses. Have fun and show us some of your work. :)