Who does their own printing?

Dave_W

The Dude
How many people here print out their photographs themselves? About 2 months ago I purchased an Epson R2000. I read a ton of reviews and it became clear that the Epson R2000 was the D7000 of printers. It's right there in the middle, not a consumer printer but not quite a full pro printer but certainly one that a pro could, ad do, use to make prints. It's been a blast, I've been really getting into the science of printing. One thing I learned early on was that printing an image is everybit as difficult and complex as capturing an image. In some ways maybe more difficult. Color management, syncing your monitor to printer, choice of paper, print sharpening, etc., can all have a large impact on your final product.

So how many people do their own printing and what printer(s) do they have?

Also, I'm surprised that Nikonites doesn't already have a dedicated section for printers and printing. What do you think, mod's? Is it time to expand?

Rick M

I got a Canon MG6120 about 6 months ago, does a nice job up to 8x10 (not a wide body). I like the fact that one of the 5 color cartridges is gray, which helps when printing B&W.

Dave_W

The Dude
Rick and stmv, how did you deal with the whole color management system? Did you sync your monitor and printer together? If so, what did you use to sync them?

stmv

I borrowed my friends monitor calibrator, and played with the profile, but found it tracked close enough, that I just learned when to adjust the slider, most of the time, can leave it in the default modes.

AC016

I found printing my own prints was fun. Though, i did not get into the "science" of it. I have a HP multi-function ink jet. It does the job very nicely and i have some nice 8x10's hanging on my wall. Though, as you know, it can get really expensive - printer eats up ink when printing photos. If we are going to do 4x6, then we just wait for a special to come along at our local pharmacy. I have given one of my 8x10 prints of an A330 to a First Officer who works for Air Transat and he was very happy with it, even though his is an FO for A310's, lol:)

I owned a couple of One hour labs and worked in many more for years so I allways enjoyed printing all my prints. I recentyl bought a HP Officejet 7500A E910 Wide Format printer. It prints up to 13 X 19. I print a lot for 11 X 17 for my own use. I like to frame and hang prints for a few months and change them out when something else grabs my attention. I have been very pleased with the printer. If I were doing it for a living I would probably outsource but I shoot just for me.