advice on camera please

c_mcclure15

Hey everyone,

Sorry to come in here without being a photographer myself but I am actually here for my wife. She has been getting into photography and doing quite well so far. She does photography for people like outside photos at parks or wherever they feel it is good and then does all the editing. Anyways I am here because I am wanting to get her a new camera something that she could easily do her photography but maybe with the intentions of doing weddngs as well as she keeps getting asked to do but hasnt yet as she just feels to nervous with reasons but maybe eventually get involved

So after knowing the type of photography she does what camera do you think would be good for that but also not crazy expensive or overboard I have been considering getting her the Nikon D7000 for her birthday but before i buy it thought i would get other peoples advice before doing so. I would like to keep with the nikons as that is what her lenses are as well. Anyways sorry for the long write and any help will be greatly appreciated

Oh also maybe what type of flash?

Mike150

I guess first it would be nice if we knew what camera she's currently using. If she has an FX format now, you wouldn't want to go to a DX. The 7000 is a great camera. I hope to get on myself one of these days.

As to flashes, the SB-700 is a really good one. I got mine about a month ago.

I'll add one more thing. I'm not a pro, but I would prefer my wife not buy any of my equipment. Now if she's been talking about the D-7000 (or drooling over one) then it would be a safe purchase. If not, you might want to consult her.

c_mcclure15

she has been talking about the 7000 and she currently has a 3000 and thanks for the feedback she has been looking at that flash to just today infact thanks

Dave_W

The Dude
The D7000 is an awesome choice - a camera that is user friendly enough that a novice can pick it up right away with enough depth to satisfy a seasoned photographer. The best of both worlds, IMO. Besides, they just lowered the price on the camera from $1199 to $1099. It doesn't get much better than that!

eurotrash

The 5100 has the same sensor as the d7000, and many of the same features...a refresh is likely though by the end of the year. If I were you, I would wait on it for a little bit longer.

evan

Banned
if the d7100 is released this year it wont make the d7000 stop taking great pictures (in the right hands). if she has the ability to competantly use a dslr. if not get a d3200. stay clear of weddings if she will be the only photographer there!

Mestre

The longer you take to get your new camera, the less pictures you take.
In the end, there is always a new model to be launched and whatever camera you buy it'll be "outdated" in a coupe of years.

However, that doesn't mean you won't be taking great photos with a D7000 or a D90 for the next years. Last April I had a workshop with a famous Portuguese national geographic photographer and he's still using his D300 with a D80 as a backup. Even his glass were the older 80-200 2.8 and a 28-70 2.8, with a DX Ultra wide (12-24 I believe) although he spent the workshop shooting a Canon G11 and giving us help.

In the end, it's the photographer's eyes that makes the difference and the more you shoot the more you grow.

Both the D90 and the D7000 are great cameras, i always prefer cameras with built in motor, a pentaprism viewfinder and easy access commands. Don't rush in the MEgapixels war, it only makes a difference if you print huge images.

c_mcclure15

thanks everyone ya she has done a couple weddings as an extra photographer for friends. They get double pics but dont have to pay for my wife which helps her as well of course to get the practice thanks again everyone

c_mcclure15

Oh and one more question what about a full frame camera? would that be better or worse for her type of photography and if so what are some good ones there?

Rick M

Oh and one more question what about a full frame camera? would that be better or worse for her type of photography and if so what are some good ones there?

The D700 is probably the most popular FF, I believe it has been discountinued. The newest is the D800, at $3k and Fx glass, depends on budget. If you have 5k, get a D8oo and the 24-70 2.8. I know that would make me happy :)

Dooku77

I've had my D7000 for about a month and I couldn't be happier. I'm coming over from Canon and this camera was a breeze to figure out. If your wife is currently using a D3000, then she will love the D7000. A more solid body, lots of features and great photo quality with the right glass. Yes you could wait until the end of the year for a refresh but why would you. People are still buying D90's and they have been discontinued. Good luck with your purchase.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you want to really impress her, the D800 with 24-70 2.8 is the way to go. If you really really want to impress her, take her shopping and let her decide what camera she prefers.

mr2_serious

That's cool. Lucky wife! I with Marcel, surprising her would be awesome but to give her exactly what she wants.... priceless.

Btw...i love my d7000 coming from a d3100 that my GF got me for Christmas :D

-william- sent via tapatalk

In order to get her the right camera, take her shopping. No other way to do it.
For my wife, she knows what I want. If not, she just takes a look here where I drool over a D800....

Claudia!

Most people love surprises but there are certain things that are best to do together and in person. She may need to actually have a feel for the camera and play around with it before making her final choice. At least if you go with her to buy it, you know it will be something she will absolutely love and feel comfortable with. What i suggests is not to tell her until you are there in the actual store. At least then you can surprise her a little bit. Tell her your budget and what you have to work with. At least then she can decide what all she may want such as lenses, flashes, accessories and or FX/DX.

stmv

sounds like she is fairly far along if she is risking taking wedding shots, I bet she will love the D7000, a great camera.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
After all the advice you got I'd really like to know what the outcome will be. Would you mind enlightening us?