D3000 with a Nikkor 18-105mm lens

paddabbo

Hey,

I just got a great deal on the 18-105mm lens that typically comes with the D90, but was wondering if anyone knew how it would preform if I were to purchase and use it on a D3000.

I'm finally making the jump to a DSLR (used to shoot 35mm Nikon SLRs, but have only used point and shoot digitals until now). I don't know that I'm neccessarily ready to make the investment in the D90, so was considering pairing the D3000 with this lens.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Curt

It will work very well, I had a D3000 for a while and it is a nice light camera. It takes very nice pictures and for the money it’s very good. If you don’t need the video feature (D5000 & D90). But that should be left to a camcorder anyway…lol. I had a 18mm-55mm on my D3000, but a 18mm-105mm will get you in much closer. Is it a VR lens (Vibration reduction)? Which is even better. The D90 is a better camera and leaves you with lots of growth as a photographer, but if you feel the cost is too much, the D3000 is a good starter camera

paddabbo

Great, thanks for the advice.

Yeah, its the same 18-108mm VR lens that comes with the D90, I just snagged one for a great price that was a factory demo.

I have no need for video, and can always use my point and shoot for that if I really need it.

I think I'll probably go with the D3000 knowing that i've got a little more flexibility with the nicer lense, and perhaps I'll upgrade in a few years to whatever has replaced the D90 at that point.

Curt

Sounds like a nice combination, I have a 55mm to 200mm VR Nikkor lens and it works very well. The 18mm to 105mm will work very nice for you, I am sure.
Good luck with you camera choice.

keshavchugh

i'm using the same combination from quite some time...i'm very satisfied and happy with the performance... d3000 is an awesome camera and the lens works well too

Curt

The D3000 is a nice light camera, if you don’t need all the bells and whistles of a D700 or D3. For everyday shooting and hobbyists a great camera, on a budget.