Let's see your box collection!

AC016

lol, well, i still have most of mine, but only for the occasion that i need a box. I have learnt that keeping the box does not increase or give anything to the re-sale value of your equipment. If you have kids, they make great building blocks, lol:)

evan

Banned
the original box is always a good selling point, as are instructions and receipt. they prove you are the owner, ( ie, its not stolen). and the age of the item.

AC016

the original box is always a good selling point, as are instructions and receipt. they prove you are the owner, ( ie, its not stolen). and the age of the item.

I agree on the instruction manual and original receipt; though, you can always download the manual online;) Having the box is a bonus, but it is not going to "sell" the customer. I just bought a D80 and the only thing i cared about was if it worked 100%. I certainly did not need another piece of cardboard for the recycling box, lol:)

Jon

It works for me... if you could take care of the boxes, the lens or body "might" well been taken cared of. I would want to know where, when and how much it was originally bought expecially if this is being advertised as "almost new" of some sort.

If somebody sells an old lens or body with the boxes, instructions and receipt intact, I'm really gonna be impressed. This speaks of being organized and meticulous. But of course, final decision would still depend on the lens' or the body's condition and the price.

So for me, it helps. By the way, I also keep all my boxes.

AC016

It works for me... if you could take care of the boxes, the lens or body "might" well been taken cared of. I would want to know where, when and how much it was originally bought expecially if this is being advertised as "almost new" of some sort.

If somebody sells an old lens or body with the boxes, instructions and receipt intact, I'm really gonna be impressed. This speaks of being organized and meticulous. But of course, final decision would still depend on the lens' or the body's condition and the price.

So for me, it helps. By the way, I also keep all my boxes.

If you are selling the equipment to a store, it is really up to the store if the box is worth it or not. I would say that most stores would not want to deal with extra boxes - i know of a few stores who do not want the box, that is just more over-head for them. If you are selling on Ebay, sure. I thnk it is more of a personal choice to keep them or not. But it does not really add to the monetary value of the item.

Jon

My perspective here is as a buyer not as a seller. I'll buy it if the box is "also" in good condition. If it doesn't have a box or it's worn out, I'll try to low ball. So in short, "for me as a buyer" it adds value. Maybe it's just me.

AC016

My perspective here is as a buyer not as a seller. I'll buy it if the box is "also" in good condition. If it doesn't have a box or it's worn out, I'll try to low ball. So in short, "for me as a buyer" it adds value. Maybe it's just me.

Yep, i really think it is a personal thing. When i bought my D80, no box, no manual. But i damn well made sure it worked before leaving the store and it is in excellent condition with just over 5000 actuations.

Dave_W

The Dude
Well, I think all can agree that buying an item that is still in its original box is not a bad thing. And chances are good that a person who takes care of something as trivial as the box has probably taken very good care of the items that came in that box.