Heat related?

DarinSTL

In St Louis area we are going on our 8th day straight with 100+ degree temperatures.

Is it possible that this is heat related?

This is probably going to be an expensive repair. There goes my camera glass fund. It will be spent on the wrong kind of glass!

Attachments

• heat-related-glass-break.jpg
    heat-related-glass-break.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 338
  • heat-related-glass-break-1.jpg
    heat-related-glass-break-1.jpg
    958.2 KB · Views: 172

DarinSTL

It could be. I had a taurus wagon that blew out the back hatch window during a hot day.

I'm pretty sure it is since the glass blew out on the ground and didn't fall inside. but I guess in this heat if something did hit it, it would still push out from pressure.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
wow, I didn't think that could actually happen. That car must either be fairly air tight, or the change in temp was so rapid that the glass couldn't take it, or both.

Actually, now that I think about it more. That is a hatch that has been repeatedly closed over those 300k miles. I bet small stress cracks were forming and the heat/expansion of the glass did the window in.

DarinSTL

wow, I didn't think that could actually happen. That car must either be fairly air tight, or the change in temp was so rapid that the glass couldn't take it, or both.

Actually, now that I think about it more. That is a hatch that has been repeatedly closed over those 300k miles. I bet small stress cracks were forming and the heat/expansion of the glass did the window in.

Anything is possible. It could of been the squirrel I was taking pictures of early dropping a nut on it. I don't believe drastic temp changes are to blame. It was 105 outside when I parked it and it is still 102 2 hours later when i noticed it.

Anyone want some broken glass photos to play around with in photoshop? :stupid:

Last edited:

fotojack

Here's a tip, in case anyone wants to know, about how to prevent your auto glass from blowing out in severely hot weather: crack your windows open just a little to let the extreme heat escape that builds up inside the vehicle. Also, open your fresh air vents on the dash. You wouldn't believe how hot it can get inside a closed vehicle when it's that hot outside! Don't believe me? Stick a thermometer inside your car when it's 100+ F outside, and see what you get for a reading.

DarinSTL

Here's a tip, in case anyone wants to know, about how to prevent your auto glass from blowing out in severely hot weather: crack your windows open just a little to let the extreme heat escape that builds up inside the vehicle. Also, open your fresh air vents on the dash. You wouldn't believe how hot it can get inside a closed vehicle when it's that hot outside! Don't believe me? Stick a thermometer inside your car when it's 100+ F outside, and see what you get for a reading.

Yes I am aware of this, But it was one of the times I got out in a hurry and forgot. And I also was thinking about what jdeg said about the rapid change in temperature. I did have the air conditioner on prior to parking the car and the AC was set on recirculate, Therefore it was completely closed up.

Chalk another one up for learning the hard way.

DarinSTL

The heat spell has finally come to an end. The first rain we have had in nearly 2 months came last night.

Attachments

• lightning.jpg
    lightning.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 86

DarinSTL

And another huge rain today, We even made the news for flash flooding. One extreme to another!

Mother nature must have it out for my car. First the window, now its trying to fill my car like a fish bowl. Thank goodness for my garage.