Change to d5100?

Mike150

Re: Change

I guess the real question is "What will the D5100 do for me that the D3100 won't?"
I don't know the feature differences between the two, but I'm not sure they are that different

sidewinder1009

These 2 are the most in depth reviews I have found on the web when I was looking to go from my D3000 to D5100 you get everything, on them on the first page (D5100 review) you get a direct feature comparison between D3100, D5100 and the older D5000
I like my D5100 and its a huge step up from the D3000 but ultimately its up to whether you will make use of the extra features.
its not worth upgrading just for the mega pixels 14 - 16.

Nikon D3100 Review: Digital Photography Review

Nikon D5100 In-depth Review: Digital Photography Review

WhiteLight

I think the jump is too small from the 3100 to the 5100..
my suggestion would be to go in for a greater model if funds permit or hold on till you can..

evan

Banned
a d90 is the logical choice if you want more creative control. the 5100 has more megapixels but menu driven features and no motor. the d7000 would be the third, and best option i can suggest. it will take a long time to outgrow its feature set. (depending on how experienced you are). the d90 and d7000 will both handle a greater choice of lenses. if you want to stay on familiar ground try the d3200, not my ideal choice, but it does have a well rated sensor.

Rick M

I upgraded from the D3100 to D5100 about 5 months ago. It was well worth the $200 difference, if you need an in body motor, I'd go with the D7000, they both share the same sensor. If you are patient, another Dx is rumored to be comming out this fall.

AC016

Not sure why someone would suggest a d90 to you, it has already been replaced by the d7000. Therefore, d90 is discontinued and was so at the start of last year. the only beneficial advantage the d90 has is the built in focus motor. I would go with the d5100, unless you have a bunch of old lenses without motors. If you have the bucks and the needs, go with d7k.

AC016

a d90 is the logical choice if you want more creative control. the 5100 has more megapixels but menu driven features and no motor. the d7000 would be the third, and best option i can suggest. it will take a long time to outgrow its feature set. (depending on how experienced you are). the d90 and d7000 will both handle a greater choice of lenses. if you want to stay on familiar ground try the d3200, not my ideal choice, but it does have a well rated sensor.
From what i have seen, all three cameras have the same amount of lenses available to them.

viscountdriver

Thanks for replies. I'd love a 7000 but funds won't run to that yet. I looked at the D90 but it is,in fact now an obselete camera although still good.I like to uipgrade as and when I can and it seems to me that the D5100 is a little better than the D3100 and perhaps a step on the way to a 7000. I expect when the upgrade to the D7000 comes out the price might drop.

TedG954

I upgraded from the D3100 to D5100 about 5 months ago. It was well worth the $200 difference, if you need an in body motor, I'd go with the D7000, they both share the same sensor. If you are patient, another Dx is rumored to be comming out this fall.

I made the same change, and for me, it was a good decision. Bracketing alone is worth the price of admission.