A D3X for $1,600? Sounded fishy to me.

TedG954

I look through the local Craig's List for camera bargains and I came across an ad for a Nikon D3X. The price was $1,600 for the boxed body, battery, charger and manual. The ad said there were 48k actuations on the camera. The camera in the photo looked un-abused and like new.

This deal sounded too good to be true, and sure enough, the ad was gone 5 minutes (literally) later.

Is $1,600 a ridiculously low price for a D3X?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Yes. I hate to burst your bubble. They tried to list it on Ebay with something "fishy sounding" like bypassing the pay system and that ebay will guarantee it. Actually, it was the same price even. Apparently ebay banned them.

Philnz

I look through the local Craig's List for camera bargains and I came across an ad for a Nikon D3X. The price was $1,600 for the boxed body, battery, charger and manual. The ad said there were 48k actuations on the camera. The camera in the photo looked un-abused and like new.

This deal sounded too good to be true, and sure enough, the ad was gone 5 minutes (literally) later.

Is $1,600 a ridiculously low price for a D3X?
Just remember the old saying."If it sounds to good to be true then run"

TedG954

It was soooo far off the mark, I didn't even consider it. I'm not sure why the ad was removed, but it was suspicious.

Snap Happy

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, chances are it is a duck. :-(

Glad to hear you didn't get it. Though there are some good deals to be had. Like I got a good second hand Nikon D2H for $299 last year. But such deals are rare. I also got it from a trusted source/dealer and not someone with no background or history of dealing with camera equipment. :)

Photowyzard

I find, if you ask for a receipt so you can check it with Police files, the ad will disappear faster than you can blink. I have had this happen a couple of times.

So many scammers on Craig's List. Face to face is the only way to deal on it and always ask for the paperwork. Most reputable people keep their receipts or you can go to the camera store and get it.

I did when I bought my last lens, checked it with the store and it was legit. I even called the original owner on the phone! Better safe than sorry, protect yourself first!

ktan7

Yes, it seems too good to be true! But, just take proper precautions before buying it. If the camera is in the city, definitely test it out first!

Bukitimah

In April 2012, this may sound too low but a year later today, I do see trading near this price here. Wait another year, maybe even lower! Haha

carguy

While generally something like this is fishy, lightning does strike from time to time. I certainly would not handle a transaction like that any other way than in person. Sometimes people do sell things cheaper than they are worth for nothing more than a lack of knowledge. Grant it, that is rare and infrequent :D

Bukitimah

Well said. I sold my D5000 at a almost give away price. I somehow just decide not to hold on to 2 body. Something I did regretted later. So if you can see the item then decide on your own.

Epoc

Incredible deals do happen as Joe says. I bought a D7000, 18-105mm kit brand new, 0 shutter count for $600. Sold the lens for $220. $380 for a brand new D7000!!! Saw the ad on an Aussie classified site, rang the seller immediately. Picked the camera up in person. Even came with the original receipt. Guy had bought it on a spur of the moment impulse buy. Starting reading the manual and decided it was not for him. Wanted immediate cash to buy a GoPro that afternoon. He got what he wanted and I got the bargain of a lifetime!! :applouse: