Which one?

airman85b

I know I ask alot of questions.
But which should I get. I mostly do landscape and long exposure.

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR DX Telephoto Zoom Lens

Both are $300 brand new.

AC016

For the landscape, i would get the 18-105. I would think doing long exposure with either one would not be a problem, but you can get wider open with the 18-105, giving you a bit more light entering the lens. However, you might want to look into a prime lens for landscape - i assume you are doing long exposed landscapes?? Further, don't forget your tripod and remote, these are needed with long exposure shots. Aside from that, i think someone who is a landscape photog will be better able to tell you which lens you SHOULD get.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For landscape, looking at your present lenses, I'd save a little more money and get a wider 10-20 lens. This would open landscape a little more for you. Seems you already have the lenses (except 299-300) that cover this range.
Have a look at the shots you prefer and see what focal length they were made with. This should help you to decide. It's more than hard for us to know what your exact needs are.

Now are they needs or wants… NAS will get expensive, no way around it. I know.

airman85b

My plan is to get one and sell my current lenses and then get maybe a 12-24 or similar. But they are having a sale on the 2 above and thought at this price I might as well jump at one.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
My plan is to get one and sell my current lenses and then get maybe a 12-24 or similar. But they are having a sale on the 2 above and thought at this price I might as well jump at one.

Then I'd go with the 18-105. Should be on the camera most of the time. 55-300 you'll find long for everyday use me thinks.

Dave_W

The Dude
At the risk of coming off offensive (which is not my intent) I would say buy neither of them and save the money up so you can buy a professional level lens like the 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, for instance. The difference between a pro level lens and a retail lens is like night and day. Trust me, once you start looking at the world thru quality glass you'll never go back.

Eye-level

Banned
18-105 is really more versatile than the other other option...I can think of a lot of other lenses I myself would buy at $300 though. If you are in the armed services what kind of gear can you get at the stores on base for what kind of money? Any good deals?

Eye-level

Banned
What does that 24/2.8 you have look like? I might go a couple hundred on that one if it is in good shape and that might allow you to get something a little nicer.