Picture threads and 365 galleries slow to browse

eurotrash

It seems as if scrolling on these types of pages is like trying to swim through a pool of molasses. Any reason for this or is it just the amount of graphics displayed on the page? Any other site/page on this site works well though..

I've also never had this issue with any other site with a ton of hosted pictures either, just wondering what is going on.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The site will only scale an image when it is inserted from an outside source. There is no way to save a smaller version of the external image.

To further explain, when there's a large amount of very large images that have been inserted, your video card/browser has a hard time actually displaying all that data. Not to mention the user's internet connection has to also load those images, which depending on the speed can take a long time. A solution is to use a resized image from wherever you're posting from (in your case Flickr). The original images can be many many megs!

This does not apply if you uploaded images to the site, since they are automatically resized. Example, take a look at Marcel's 365: http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/4382-marcels-366__2012-a.html it loads and scrolls much faster.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I always resize my pictures to max 1200 with 72dpi definition. I do this for 2 reasons:

1- It could prevent unauthorized usage by someone that would like to use my picture for commercial reasons. It's good enough for computer display, as a matter of fact, I think the definition of a computer screen is 72 dpi.

2- The pictures upload much faster and if I want to email some, they are already a great "for email" size.

It's part of my workflow and it takes about 10 seconds more to do so.