fireworks

Claudia!

Hopefully I am posting under the right tab. I would love to get some good shots and be prepared ahead of time. So basically, what advice do ya'll have about taking great firework shots (settings, set up, accessories, best angle). As well, what would be the best lens, prime or zoom? Hopefully once the 4th is over, we can all post our pics. Hopefully this post/thread does not interfere with the challenge of the week. If it does, I am sorry in advance. I have been watching youtube videos and reading up on the topic. I thought I would give the forum a try. I have two options for firework displays.

1. The city of Houston hosts Freedom over Texas. It is basically a big firework display with a festival and attractions. The beauty of this event is that the fireworks are placed on top on the skyscrappers downtown. The skyline is lite up so there is great opportunities for great photos. It's a bigger event.
Freedom Over Texas Home Page

2. My other option is to go to my local display in a small city on the outskirts of Houston. They have similar events minus the skyline. The fireworks are over a park. I typically go here every year because of my family and the fact that the park is smaller and easier to maneuver. Right before the fireworks begin, they black out the entire event. You can barely see anything. The fireworks are more together rather than placed strategically over certain skyscrapers.
City of Baytown 4th of July Celebration

So basically what advice do you have for someone who is trying to learn a few pointers in shooting fireworks in low light.

Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOf7CfNoaZ4fr

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Great question! Every year Scott Kelby puts in his blog a fireworks 'how-to' entry that is pretty detailed. Post your results!

Claudia!

wow both replies are of great help! I am seriously excited. I have been working too much lately to really get a chance to shoot or practice. I am looking forward to this. I will post what I come up with. Hopefully I do really well.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
We just celebrated the 4th of July (1st of July) on our Naval Base in Japan. It was raining so my lens got wet but was able to get a few ok shots. Using the long exposure processing, I ended up missing some of the nice burst so I switched to video instead.

Settings: f8, 13 seconds, ISO 400. Camera on a tripod with an umbrella ;)

Lens used: Nikon 16-35mm f4 set to infinity.

D800E fireworks by gqtuazon, on Flickr

D800E 4th of July fireworks by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Happy Birthday America!