Light

ophiuchus

Okay so during my wanderings around this place I have noticed alot of people saying a certain phrase, like a mantra almost: "Learn to see light creatively". It has really stuck with me and It's actually starting to make me see the world differently. I'm becoming "lens-eyed". Seeing light creatively...is this something that comes with practice? What does it really mean...to see light creatively? How could a beginner start to see light in more creative sense?

Hard question perhaps. But it seems like it's important

KennethHamlett

Hi ophiuchus, I think what we're trying to say is study light. Every image is composed of light, no matter what subject is in the image. For example, you want to show a silhouette of someone because it would make the shot very dramatic, well the easiest way is to put the sun behind them and expose for the light behind the subject and not for the subject. Knowing how light effects a scene and how to expose for the light to achieve the results you want is what we're talking about. Walk around and study what the light looks like at certain times of day and why it would be most favorable to shoot some subjects under certain types of lighting conditions. Once you learn these "rules" so to speak, break them all. Developing a visual style comes from making mistakes or better yet from doing the things instructors and other photographers say you shouldn't do. But first, learn to recognize how light interplays with its surroundings. Study images you like and try to determine what kind of lighting was used and where the light originates in the picture. These visual exercises will help you learn to see the effects of light on a subject. Shoot under every lighting condition you can. Harsh, midday sun, the warm blow of dusk and dawn, the overcast light on a cloudy day, the light of only a candle etc. etc. Then study those pictures to see how the light reacts in those conditions. Once you start to get a handle on it, keep shooting. Also, a few good books by John Hedgecoe would help too.

DaveKoontz

I'm in a pickle and need some advice! I have a shoot scheduled for next week ... that's the good news. The bad news is that the subject matter will be Classic Cars, they are all black, and they are all very shiny. The real pickle is that I will be shooting outdoors in direct sun (hopefully we will get a marine layer in the morning). Anyway in this lighting the cars will pick-up every reflection there is from the background and I will get annoying and distracting glare on the chrome. Other than praying for a total eclipse of the sun, can you offer any helpful hints?

KennethHamlett

Other than being able to bring in additional strobes to balance the light or large pieces of marine sail cloth to create a huge soft light, I would suggest shooting bracketed exposures (maybe +/- 1.7 to 2.0 stops) and use these bracketed exposures to create a balanced shot with good highlight detail and shadow detail. Can you bring in lights or any other equipment?