Portraits of Olympians Cause a Big Stink

Browncoat

CBS News published some photos of members of various US Olympics teams on their website, and the masses have risen to say...the photos are crap. Read the original article on PopPhoto here, but several similar articles have been published all over the web. The photos used were by Joe Klamar via Getty Images.

Read the article, check out the other links, and definitely check out the photos. Here's my take on it:

The photos are pretty bad. Not OMGWTF terrible, but they're definitely not the work of someone who should be labeled a professional portrait photographer in my book. The poses are amateurish, and I've seen better lighting come out of a garage setup. Most of Klamar's work is of the press conference/red carpet/photojournalism variety. He even won a photo of the year award in 2009 for Czech Press Photo. But it's clear that he's not used to posed portrait work.

In my opinion, the blame for all of this rests solely on the shoulders of Getty Images. Why on earth would they release these photos to CBS News? Was this guy the only Getty contractor available at the photo shoot? CBS News gets laughed at, the public is outraged, and this photographer's reputation is probably forever ruined. Meanwhile, Getty is sitting pretty as usual, just counting their money in the shadows.

More proof positive of how despicable stock photo agencies really are. Don't be a sellout, guys. Maintain the rights to your photos, because selling them (or giving them away) to 3rd party stock agencies is just begging for trouble.

ohkphoto

Snow White
but they're definitely not the work of someone who should be labeled a professional portrait photographer in my book. The poses are amateurish, and I've seen better lighting come out of a garage setup. Most of Klamar's work is of the press conference/red carpet/photojournalism variety

I saw this the other day. It seems like there' s a lot of distortion as if he use a wide angle lens. Cut off limbs, dark faces. Also not very creative in lighting and posing. The sad thing is the the average viewer will not see anything wrong. the public doesn't seem to understand what makes a good photograph until you point out everything that's wrong, and who wants to do that on a regular basis.

He even won a photo of the year award in 2009 for Czech Press Photo. But it's clear that he's not used to posed portrait work.

I feel bad for the photographer. He was placed in an environment where he was not in his element. But then again, Getty seems to feel like they can do anything and get away with it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Read the article, check out the other links, and definitely check out the photos. Here's my take on it:

The photos are pretty bad. Not OMGWTF terrible, but they're definitely not the work of someone who should be labeled a professional portrait photographer in my book. The poses are amateurish, and I've seen better lighting come out of a garage setup. Most of Klamar's work is of the press conference/red carpet/photojournalism variety. He even won a photo of the year award in 2009 for Czech Press Photo. But it's clear that he's not used to posed portrait work.

In my opinion, the blame for all of this rests solely on the shoulders of Getty Images. Why on earth would they release these photos to CBS News? Was this guy the only Getty contractor available at the photo shoot? CBS News gets laughed at, the public is outraged, and this photographer's reputation is probably forever ruined. Meanwhile, Getty is sitting pretty as usual, just counting their money in the shadows.

I do not disagree with you about the poses and lighting. I think it can be better.

However, to the photographer who is probably not the best one around still got the contract and was able to provide his services. It sounds like a simple business transaction to me IMO.

Have you ever dine in to a restaurant that served food but didn't taste that great? Some may be happy with the food that they serve and some may not be happy. No point in arguing on what should have been done but to learn from this bad experience. Just my two cents.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Without a background in strobistry and posing, that's a hell of a daunting assignment. That still doesn't account for the lack of any post-processing and touching up (from the article).

That pretty much sums it up. And greedy Getty wanted to be the first and only to get their photos out on the media.

Browncoat

...And greedy Getty wanted to be the first and only to get their photos out on the media.

This is what it's all about, Glenn. I'd bet the farm that the photographer was there doing his usual press coverage type stuff, and was allowed to participate in the portrait sessions, and there was no contract involved. There were dozens of photographers doing these shoots, and many of their photos came out great.

The point of all this is, this particular guy used Getty Images, who in turn sold the photos to CBS News.