Travel lenses

airman85b

I'm going on a vacation with the family soon and wondering which lense's you guys bring on your vacations. I will be flying so I don't want to bring all of my kit. Just wondering, this will be the first time i've flown since getting my DSLR.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I fly to Europe from the US and then within the EU. I've found that it really depends on the airlines and originating location regarding traveling with gear. In my experience, Intra-EU and Intra-Europe flights tend to be more strict about the one carry-on rule and bag size.

I noticed that you're in Germany. Frankfurt is pretty routine. Munich does a very thorough job of inspecting camera gear - every time I've flow through there back to the States they've made me take the lens caps off both ends of each lens. Connecting through Munich is a breeze.

As for me, it depends on my vacation plans. My normal kit is the D300, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 17-55 and Nikon 70-300 VR. If we're going to be doing organized tours, I'll bring the 18-200. If we're going to be visiting gardens, I'll bring the 105 Micro. I'll usually bring one or two fast primes (35/1.8 and/or 50/1.4). I use a Tenba Messenger Daypack which I've never had an issue bringing on any flight.

Tobrew

I carry a Sigma 10-20 for wide angle, a Nikon 18-200 super zoom, and a 35mm 1.8G for use on my D5100. The Sigma is great for landscapes and architecture shots. The 18-200 stays on 95% of the time because of its versatility. The 35mm 1.8G I use for low light stuff. This grouping gets the job done for me.

Eye-level

Banned
Well I am going on vacation in exactly one week. I will be taking a 28/3.5 and a 105/2.5 and a D5K. I'm leaving the F2 at home. And when I get there there will be a 70-200 VR II that I am going to play with too! :)

Mestre

My travel kit Is now a 10-20 and a 24-70 Sigma and a 50 1.8. I mainly photograph landscape (urban and natural) or portraits, i only take the tele if i know there's wildlife or my 105 micro if i plan to do some bug hunt.

Bukitimah

In my last trip to Vietnam, I brought everything but end up using only the 17-50 f2.8. I could have use the 70-300 during the Mekong river ride but it was raining, so I don't even have time to protect my gear leave along changing lens. Have 17-50 or even the 18-105. Zoom only if you think there will be something you need to zoom in.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
In my last trip to Vietnam, I brought everything but end up using only the 17-50 f2.8. I could have use the 70-300 during the Mekong river ride but it was raining, so I don't even have time to protect my gear leave along changing lens. Have 17-50 or even the 18-105. Zoom only if you think there will be something you need to zoom in.

Thanks, just the info I needed as I'm going there in november for a 3 week tour. I actually weighted all my lenses as I took an inventory for insurance purpose. I'm still undecided between the D700 and D7000...

Rick M

Thanks, just the info I needed as I'm going there in november for a 3 week tour. I actually weighted all my lenses as I took an inventory for insurance purpose. I'm still undecided between the D700 and D7000...

That will be a difficult decision!!

Billy Y.

I would take the 700, the fx format seems like it is better suited for travel photography, and I think after 2 Europe trips carrying around the 70-200 that I would not bring it again. Most of my shots were composed under 100mm, but I was using a cropped sensor camera so with the d700 you may want more reach.... Wait now there is a good argument for the d7000 instead. I would also think a lot about your bag, I converted an old Crumpler brand messenger bag, and it worked greAt, hangs at your side and one flap access. Now I see Crumpler makes a dedicated dslr bag - mid sized one is called the " six million dollar home". That would be a good purchase for travel IMO. Have fun over there.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
OK I got to hobnob with a whole slew of like minded Nikon folks on my vacation. Amongst the lenses I was able to test out - the aforementioned 70-200 VRII we all know that one is killer. Probably the most versatile and pretty outstanding lens of the bunch was the new 18-300 it just does it all and does it very good. The biggest surprise for me was the 24-70/2.8 I am in love with that one but it is expensive with a capital E. I also was able to use a 17-55/2.8 which was a big honker but talk about a good one...also very expensive. I saw only one prime a 35/1.8g which was in the kit of the guy who had the 18-300. He was using the 35 strictly at night. I did not see a single FX Nikon they were all either 3100 or 5100, D300, and D7000. There were a bunch of camera folks there too. Nikon hands down blew away the Canon folks in numbers. I did get to use some new Nikon waterproof P&S and I was blown away!