Nikon Capture NX2 vs Photoshop Lightroom 4 Student and Teacher Edition

amonamarth

Hello:

I'm about ready to buy software that allows me to do more*. What do YOU recommend between the two mentioned in the tittle of this thread?

more*
Besides basic editing for exposure, levels, contrast, etc, etc( what you can basically do with View NX2) ...
I need B/W conversions/tools and HDR capability if possible.

Thanks,

Dave_W

The Dude
That's easy - Photoshop Lightroom, hands down. I would suggest that you also consider CS6 Photoshop, too. The combination of the two will allow you to do anything and everything. If you have a kid (son, daughter, grandkids, neighbors, friends, etc.,) anyone in school as a student or teacher you can purchase the student/teacher version and save a great deal of money on both CS-6 and LR-4

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've used NX2 for a very long time since I just wanted basic post processing. However, after using CS 5.5 for a while now, I like the features better. There are more things that you can do with Adobe than NX2.

You can't include a watermark on NX2, and if you do, then I probably didn't know about it.

The advantage of using NX2 is that you can view the settings from you camera with your computer monitor since you can export / import them to NX2.

N_Addy

I've used NX and Lightroom as well and would recommend LR hands-down. Aside from its great processing features Lightroom's strength is its workflow capability. Importing, viewing, rating, processing, cataloging, printing, and publishing are ALL done (and done VERY well) from a single interface. You can't do all that from CaptureNX.

As for getting CS, I agree in doing so if you have the means. But if not, Lightroom will do you just fine.

amonamarth

Great, thanks for the answers. LR academic version is $80; you can't beat that price. I'll start there, and if I ever need more, I can go to Phototshop(CS) but I doubt it since that is a monster :)

How about HDT, does LR support it?

Alex.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Lightroom can't create HDR images but supports external apps (Photoshop, Photomatix, etc.) that do.

amonamarth

I bought LR4.1; I'm impressed; however I still haven't figured out how to pull EXIF information from the shots :/

Alex.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1