Weekly Challenge July 1 - July 8: "Patriotic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
12855d1341181629-weekly-challenge-july-1-july-8-patriotic-bald-eagle_1_600x450.jpg

Weekly Challenge July 1 - July 8: "Patriotic"

What comes to your mind when you think of the word "patriotic"? Since many of us are celebrating holidays that involve patriotism the you are challenged this week to photograph something that is patriotic to you. Have fun with this and be proud of your country!

These challenges are designed to help you grow in your photography skills and creativity, and also to have fun. Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information.

The Rules
  1. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIF data can be verified, we will use the honor system.
  2. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
  3. Challenges will be judged solely by the panel. Individual voting via post "likes" will be incorporated into the final selection of the winning photo.
  4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge, unless otherwise indicated.
  5. Judging criteria is based on the Twelve Elements of a Merit Image.
There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator.

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

The winner of this challenge will receive a Nikon ML-L3 remote!
(or prize of equal value if you are outside of North America)

Attachments

• bald-eagle_1_600x450.jpg
    bald-eagle_1_600x450.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 4,891

Kim20

Two of Canada's Finest, dressed in their beautiful red uniforms. These guys were great today, after our Canada Day Parade, they took the time to let folks have their photos taken with them.
mounties.jpg

Carolina Photo Guy

What is a "patriot"? Other than the glib return of a New England football player, I think this is a difficult word to quantify.

How-ever, I think that the people that gave up a dreary, certain existance on the original settlements to a dangerous, uncertain life or death struggle

farther west to settle this nation in its infancy were some of the best examples of true patriots.

With this in mind, I give you...

"The Chucked Wagon"

Chucked Wagon (1024x649).jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
This is not an entry, but thought I would share:

Took this yesterday of the Washington monument:
DSC_0694.jpg

ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/4000 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 18mm

It was nice and sunny with a heat index of 100 !

Philnz

What is a "patriot"? Other than the glib return of a New England football player, I think this is a difficult word to quantify.

How-ever, I think that the people that gave up a dreary, certain existance on the original settlements to a dangerous, uncertain life or death struggle

farther west to settle this nation in its infancy were some of the best examples of true patriots.

With this in mind, I give you...

"The Chucked Wagon"

View attachment 12945
pa·tri·ot·ic
(p
amacr.gif
lprime.gif
tr
emacr.gif
-
obreve.gif
t
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
k) adj.Feeling, expressing, or inspired by love for one's country.

Dave Hamilton

409304_10150459916706345_284265973_n.jpgView attachment 12971

Many of you know I love to shoot in cemeteries. This is one of my favorite places. It is a Military Cemetery in Baton Rouge (There is more than one). Legally I can't enter this week with two shots, nor a shot that I took a while back, but this is my way of saying thanks to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf! Happy 4th to you all, and May God Bless America!

Mike150

Stumbled across this by accident. This cemetary is in a town that served primarily as a hospital to treat wounded (both north and south). There is a section dedicated to the confederate soldier. These young men were patriots to their cause just as much as today's soldier is to his cause. They made the ultimate sacrifice for what they believed in.

2012-187.jpg

Rick M

Stumbled across this by accident. This cemetary is in a town that served primarily as a hospital to treat wounded (both north and south). There is a section dedicated to the confederate soldier. These young men were patriots to their cause just as much as today's soldier is to his cause. They made the ultimate sacrifice for what they believed in.

View attachment 13037

I would give this a thousand likes if I could. Too bad we don't teach the truth about the civil war.

Dave_W

The Dude
This is from Ft. Rosecrans National Military Cemetery -

D800; 24-70mm; f/9; ISO-220; rendered in Silver Efex Pro 2

_D8A1394-Edit-sm.jpg

Dave Hamilton

Every time I visit Hawaii a trip to the Arizona Memorial and the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (also know as the "Punch Bowl"). I thought that I would get a great picture with an American Flag, or possible several flags. Something that creamed patriotism.

Instead I found this one to tug at my heart. It is the Stack from the USS Arizona, and in the background is the USS Nimitz (
the lead ship of the Nimitz Class of aircraft carriers). I love the way that it connects the past with the present, the fallen with the currently serving. It is no award winning photograph, but I liked it, and I hope you like it too!

ede_9803.a.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
What does Silver Efex do? Looks like the angle of the sun made this a difficult shot.

Oh yes, I forgot. I used a B+W Kaesemann circular polarizer. I used Silver Efex to render the yellow paper effect as well as putting the grain in. I also used the control points to bring out some additional details in the dark tree area. It's a great plug-in to have if you like making B&W images.[h=1][/h]

Rick M

Every time I visit Hawaii a trip to the Arizona Memorial and the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (also know as the "Punch Bowl"). I thought that I would get a great picture with an American Flag, or possible several flags. Something that creamed patriotism.

Instead I found this one to tug at my heart. It is the Stack from the USS Arizona, and in the background is the USS Nimitz (
the lead ship of the Nimitz Class of aircraft carriers). I love the way that it connects the past with the present, the fallen with the currently serving. It is no award winning photograph, but I liked it, and I hope you like it too!

View attachment 13042

I really like this shot dave. Just a suggestion- A circular polarizer would have really done allot here with the clouds and at the same time would have cut the reflection off the water. Just a thought if you go back.

Dave Hamilton

I really like this shot dave. Just a suggestion- A circular polarizer would have really done allot here with the clouds and at the same time would have cut the reflection off the water. Just a thought if you go back.

I have a circular polarizer but I forgot to bring it. Last night I also realized I forgot my battery charger. To much anticipation of a trip to Hawaii and forgot a few things of importance. Lucky for me my brother is here with the same camera and he charged my battery.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.